Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal, I'm in need of using my warranty service for the first time. I purchased the truck as a second owner from a non-Dodge dealership and was told nothing of the 30 day limit & $150 transfer fee. Had to discover that here. I've had the truck @ 10 months now. Can I still use this or am I SOL? What's my options now?

·
Registered
226 Posts
What is the 30 day limit and $150 fee?

I bought my truck as a 2nd owner and from a Ford dealership (original selling Dodge dealership was the sister dealership of the Ford dealership though). I've used my warranty a few times and have had no problems...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the things I heard & in your manual that you must transfer this by paying a Dodge dealer the $150 & must be done within 30 days of purchase if you're the 2nd or 3rd owner etc. I also bought mine from a non-Dodge dealer so they didn't tell me this. I found out by reading it here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've didn't pay anything...all I did was send in the owner update card.

I've had warranty work done by a dodge dealership and was never asked about any fee etc.

Where in your owners manual are you seeing that you have to pay a fee....also, any links to discussions on here that you read?

·
Registered
208 Posts
agreed with kotowski...never had to answer any questions at all...just update the owner card.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had to pay, but i did call the 1-800 # and got it handled. I had to be a little gruff, but it got done. I was 6 months out i believe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's located in the warranty book that came with your truck, not actually the manual sorry. But that's what it states is to pay the fee & once you use it you may have a $100 deductible if I read it right. Did any of you have that enforced or was it all paid for? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hmm, I looked thru both and didnt see anything.

Maybe that was a pre-06 thing? Seeing as how both myself and nfewell didn't have to pay for anything...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi
Warranties & transfers are extremely difficult to navigate & understand.

3/36 Basic , stays with the vehicle all years, can update owner of record for free , but usually nobody bothers.

Cummins Engine warranty 5/100 same deal.

Powertrain Warranties have a myriad of variations.

Generally- 2001 & 2002 from Oct 1 2001, to Dec 31 2001.
7/100 powertrain 1st owner non transferable.

2002 from Jan1 2002 to jun 30 2002 , 7/100 1st owner non transferrable.

From 2002 from jul 1 2002, 7/70 stays with vehicle can update ownership but doesn't really matter.

2003 7/70 stays with vehicle ditto on update.

2004 & 2005 7/70, transferable to 2nd owner with fee if done within 30 days of purchase. SOL after 30 days.

2006 3/36 / no 7/70.

However cummins engine warranty went with vehicle in all years but some reduced to from 7 to 5 years in the ownership change.

The only sure way is the VIP summary which has warranty coverage codes and transferability narratives.

Easy eh. read quickly, pop quiz in 5 minutes, lol.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
:hehe: Charlie is an insider

·
Registered
562 Posts
2nd owner, purchased from a non Dodge dealer. Had the truck in for warranty work 3 times at a Dodge dealer and have never been questioned, nor have I filled out an "update card", I suppose that could be why I don't get notification of updates or anything like I did with my Ford?

I was never told anything about transerring the warranty or updating any card.....:banghead:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts