Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Long time lurker, first time Diesel buyer.

I'm looking to pick up one of the 19's here at the end of the year to take advantage of some of the bigger discounts.

A while back there was a thread on the cost of extended warranties and the company's that sell them (to be resold by the dealer). I can't find that thread for the life of me.

Could someone point me to that thread, or shed some light on which one(s) I should be considering?

(love the forum, great information, thank you)

Thank you in advance!

Tim

·
Registered
57 Posts
Would like to know as well—including the prices paid. I understand you can purchase a factory extended warranty from any Ram dealer, including out of state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
I Highly recommend sticking with a factory backed warranty (Max Care). Note that you can purchase this from many dealers throughout the country after your purchase.
C.R. motors in Michigan was a dealer recommended on this forum a while back and they treated me well with a good price.

I also recommend not purchasing with a new vehicle. I purchased my 7 year 100k mile plan just before my truck hitting 3 years (had less than 36k miles); paid roughly $2,300.
This way, you don't pay the interest on the warranty purchase for the 3 years or so you it's not in effect.

Just a suggestion!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I Highly recommend sticking with a factory backed warranty (Max Care). Note that you can purchase this from many dealers throughout the country after your purchase.
C.R. motors in Michigan was a dealer recommended on this forum a while back and they treated me well with a good price.

I also recommend not purchasing with a new vehicle. I purchased my 7 year 100k mile plan just before my truck hitting 3 years (had less than 36k miles); paid roughly $2,300.
This way, you don't pay the interest on the warranty purchase for the 3 years or so you it's not in effect.

Just a suggestion!
There is nothing wrong with buying the warranty when you buy the truck. The mistake is adding the cost of the warranty to the amount that is financed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is nothing wrong with buying the warranty when you buy the truck. The mistake is adding the cost of the warranty to the amount that is financed.
Good point, though technically that money could be invested elsewhere for the ~ 3 years the warranty is not needed. We're not talking a large amount of money here, but either way it makes little sense to purchase at the time of sale... UNLESS they are offering you an excellent deal on the price (this does not often happen).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good point, though technically that money could be invested elsewhere for the ~ 3 years the warranty is not needed.
True but if the loss of $2000 in capital is too big of a lost opportunity elsewhere, then it's likely that other bad financial decisions have been and will be made.

The world needs people like this because the only way to buy low is to buy from someone who typically buys high and sells low. LOL.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
True but if the loss of $2000 in capital is too big of a lost opportunity elsewhere, then it's likely that other bad financial decisions have been and will be made.

The world needs people like this because the only way to buy low is to buy from someone who typically buys high and sells low. LOL.
Most people buy high and sell low. It's because people are greedy and try to get into things because they see others making money and have FOMO (fear of missing out). Fear and scarcity are powerful motivators.

That being said, one of the most nauseating and overplayed memes bandied about on this and other auto forums is the ol' "I financed the entire purchase price because rates are low and I can get a better return on my cash elsewhere, so don't want to tie it up in the vehicle." The truth is most of these people are broke as a joke and couldn't pay cash if they tried. They HAVE to borrow. And, there is no "return on cash" happening period, because the cash doesn't exist.

Sure, there are some wealthy people around here who could easily pay cash but choose to borrow at low rates. But I would bet they are a very small minority. There have been some explosive articles published recently on the state of the subprime auto loan industry, and the numbers are really, really ugly right now insofar as defaults, losses and repos go. The WSJ had a great one a few days ago. Outfits like Santander are getting their heads handed to them, but I digress.

Reactions: Zinga

·
Registered
876 Posts
Personally, I think these are very risky markets, so investing the cash available from financing the warranty - and more so, the vehicle itself - is risky. Depending on one's financial and income circumstance, I'd say a large portion of that money should be in one's emergency fund instead of volatile or ill-liquid investments like stocks, bonds, real estate. The opportunity cost of the emergency fund placement is low compared to a cash purchase. Waiting to buy the EW will likely, some time in the future, reveal a lower cost opportunity. In the meantime, having more cash cash in the emergency fund seems a good thing.

·
Go Packers
6,211 Posts
I purchased the Chrysler Max Care Warranty at time of purchase. In 2012 it was $1500.00 for the 7 year/ 70,000 mile warranty.

My question would be: What is the price at the time of purchase vs the price of purchasing the warranty right before the 3 year mark of ownership. Seems I've heard the price increases the longer you wait, but that might not be correct either. Just a suggestion.

PS. I typed "extended warranties, which is best" in the search bar. Found many threads. Found this one. You might be interested in postings # 1&2. There are links provided. Hope this helps some. Best wishes & welcome to the forum.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/2285786-new-truck-extended-warranty.html

Reactions: philhyde

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is my 2nd Ram CTD 2016 and 2018 .....both trucks I purchased a extended warranty 5 years 100k miles......purchase directly from Mopar called the 800 number.....thinking I spent $2600 I purchased from because they offered the money back guarantee.....if extended warranty not used you got your money back......the 2016 used the extended warranty once......so no money returned
The 2018 I have 86 thousand miles and haven't used the extended warranty yet...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Call Chrysler direct warranties
2019 2500 Megacab Rambox Longhorn 4wd , Cummins
8 yr - 125,000 Maxcare .
100 deductible , 3025.00
200 deductible , 2805 .00

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
8 yr - 125,000 Maxcare .
100 deductible , 3025.00
Thank you for this information by the way!!

Have most buyers found it more advantageous to call directly rather than deal with the dealer?

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
8 yr - 125,000 Maxcare .
100 deductible , 3025.00
Thank you for this information by the way!!

Have most buyers found it more advantageous to call directly rather than deal with the dealer?
When I bought mine 2 weeks ago the dealership finance guy said around 5,000

·
Go Packers
6,211 Posts
Things might be different now, since 2012 when I purchased my truck. Prior to purchase, waiting for my ordered truck to arrive, I called "Chrysler Max Care Warranty" direct to check what the price was.

IIRC, a vin # was needed to proceed. My reasoning for doing this was to make sure the dealer did not mark up the price. Dealer charged the same price that I was quoted by Chrysler Max Care person who took my call. Maybe to an unsuspecting buyer, the price might change and the buyer did not know the difference. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From one who knows

I am a Service Advisor at a large Dodge Dealership in NC. Actually the best Warranty to have in my opinion is a quality aftermarket one from a REPUTABLE company such as Zurich. The advantages are no deductibles, accepted anywhere not just dealers, covers lodging, towing, and rentals, and finally they are pro rated. you get your money back on the unused portion if you cancel. I'm in the business and i have Zurich on all my vehicles. Need I say more?

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
I am a Service Advisor at a large Dodge Dealership in NC. Actually the best Warranty to have in my opinion is a quality aftermarket one from a REPUTABLE company such as Zurich. The advantages are no deductibles, accepted anywhere not just dealers, covers lodging, towing, and rentals, and finally they are pro rated. you get your money back on the unused portion if you cancel. I'm in the business and i have Zurich on all my vehicles. Need I say more?
Either the above post (your first) is entirely SPAM or it’s simply the fact that Zurich offers the best profit margin...or.....both.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have Zurich 100k on the '16 GMC I am trading in. I had an issue with a front caliper that seized. They only covered the caliper, and none of the damage it caused. I had to pay for new pads and rotors etc..... Long story with the dealer, but it cost over $350 out of pocket. All of this was at 40,000 mi. After I had brought the truck in 4 separate times from 10k to 40k for the brakes squealing. Another reason I will be driving a Ram in the very near future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ITS OFFICIAL SCMIKE!!!! YOU'RE A MORON!! Since you decided to attack first, don't be surprised at return fire. I offered an honest and heartfelt opinion from my 13 years experience servicing FCA and BMW vehicles. And stated it as opinion. If you disagree fine, that one incident CLEARLY qualifies you as an expert! I just hope everyone on this tread truly appreciates your gift of genius shared here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts