Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Dually transmission has been contaminated with water. Seems the heat exchanger went to hell and pumped trans fluid into the radiator/cooling system and water into the transmission. On my truck this heat exchanger is mounted to the block on the drivers side under the fuel filter. My dealer has told me the transmission is ruined.

I did some checking around and talked to a dealer in St. Louis. According to them they have sold 38 of these heat exchangers in the last month.

Has anyone else had this problem? The bill is going to be 3K+ and I'm mad as hell. This truck only has 80K miles on it.

Attachments

·
Diesel Junkie
4,685 Posts
I have not had any problem , but it sounds like a big problem if one dealer had seen 38 of them....I think I'd try contacting dodge about it to see if there is anything that can be done.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
The bill is going to be 3K+ and I'm mad as hell. This truck only has 80K miles on it.
Why wouldn't that be covered by the warranty if the component that failed first is on the engine?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Warranty

Just got off the phone with the dealer and they are telling me no warranty. This is a local dealer in Nebraska and they have not seen this problem before. At least thats their story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
milkshake

I was just wondering if you have any update to your problem. I also have the same problem with my 2006 2500 dodge ram. I have 75,000 miles on my truck and I just took it to the dealership to see if they can do anything for me. Thanks,
Randy

·
Diesel Junkie
4,685 Posts
I was just wondering if you have any update to your problem. I also have the same problem with my 2006 2500 dodge ram. I have 75,000 miles on my truck and I just took it to the dealership to see if they can do anything for me. Thanks,
Randy

OP hasn't been on since October , and these are his only two posts......not sure if he'll see this or not.
I haven't heard of any more issues with the heat exchanger.........anyone else?

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,673 Posts
ive never heard of it. i actually thought all our trucks came
with tranny coolers, but i have nothing mounted under my
fuel filter canister.

well im an idiot - i have a manual. bwahahahahahaha.

·
Vigilante
830 Posts
Just got off the phone with the dealer and they are telling me no warranty. This is a local dealer in Nebraska and they have not seen this problem before. At least thats their story.
What dealership are you going to? We are you at in Nebrsaka? Never mind I just saw he hasn't been on since May!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What dealership are you going to? We are you at in Nebrsaka? Never mind I just saw he hasn't been on since May!

I took it to a dealer in Union Missouri. St.Louis area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Randy

The part is actually called the torque converter cooler. I had that replaced and the transmission rebuilt. No problems thus far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
got the bill

Ok so it was also the trans cooler that went bad on my truck, it mixed the antifreeze and transfluid.

The bill from the transmission shop was 4,500 :( out of myy pocket

(rebuilt the tranny beefed it up a bit, new torq converter, new trans cooler, new hoses, a couple flushes, and the labor to do it.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so it was also the trans cooler that went bad on my truck, it mixed the antifreeze and transfluid.

The bill from the transmission shop was 4,500 :( out of myy pocket

(rebuilt the tranny beefed it up a bit, new torq converter, new trans cooler, new hoses, a couple flushes, and the labor to do it.)
I just hope the new coolers are better than the old ones. I don't want to have to go through this again in 75K

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Its really not that hard for a guy to just eliminate the heat exchanger. The only purpose of it really is to help warm the ATF when you are plugged into the block heater. Other than that, the ATF heats up faster than the engine coolant and should stay a lower temp than the engine coolant, so it really doesn't make much sense to have it there.

Sorry to hear they stuck it to ya like that. That sucks. Glad you have it fixed though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same problem

2005 Laramie 1 Ton 80000 mi cooler ran coolant through tranny and now 5000.00 worth of repairs not covered under warranty. This is unforgivable how can you to prevent this or do you just budget for this expense every 80 k

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have 135k and just put in a goerend, should I eliminate my heat exchanger or replace the cooler

·
Registered
23 Posts
:beer:headbang:sorry guys i am not on here to often, i am in edmonton ,alberta. dodge told me the tranny went first and took out the exchanger which is a load of bs cause i dropped the pan and there was only fine particles from the bands. As far as i am concerned the exchanger went causing coolant to go into the tranny which the bands deffinatly do not like. they quoted at 4k giving all the parts at whole sale so spent another 3k and took it to a high performance shop and got a heavy hauler tranny with a deep pan. I was very impressed with this guys work for just over seven grand he flushed cooling system, engine, hd tranny and filled it with ams oil, shifts good and hard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts