Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I was at the dealership asking about the idle up programming, I also asked them how long i should let it idle and warm up in the mornings. They told me not to let it idle at all, just get in and go. My truck is an 08 QC longbed 6.7 and its my first diesel. This not letting it warm up does not seem right to me, what does everyone else say?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I always start mine and turn on the ex-brake and let it sit till its about 200, usually doesn't take but about 5-10 minutes at the most, even when it was cold, has about 5,000 miles on it now still breakin it in!:peelout

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
With the DPF, the more Idle time you have the worse it is on it. Get in and go to save the DPF. (all according to dodge's instructions)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If it was really cold and I didn't have the block heater plugged in, I'd give her a few minutes to warm up.

Otherwise, get in and go.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a gen2 5.9 truck...and I let mine warm up until my oil pressure is between 60-63psi...then I'll drive it...when it's cold..and after start up...OP is at 67-70psi...keeps me from going over 80psi when shifting...but, usually goes quicker if i plug it in ...when its cold.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dodge said, so we know it's alright!!!:rof

·
Registered
52 Posts
I plug mine into the block heater overnight regardless of how hot or cold it is. Once I start it, turn on the EB, put it in Tow/haul and go. The engine is warm by the time I make it to the end of the block.

To check if you have the plug already, open the hood and look at the left hand lower side - beside the radiator. Mine came with one already installed. It is black and has a plug cover.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i can't see how it would be good for any engine to start working it cold . i have always let mine warm a few minutes before taking off . i crank it , set the exhaust brake and warm it about 10 minutes and have had 0 problems now at 9000 miles . if you have the high idle enabled you can use it for faster warm up .

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't warm mine at all, unless there's frost on the windshield. Then I'll let it idle just long enough so that the wipers can clear it without reforming immediately. I drive it gently until the temp gauge comes up to normal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've had my CTD for almost 3 months and I've pulled as much as 14k with is with no problems. I don't take much time with warm up but I do take it easy until I get the temp needle on it's way to normal.

When I drove Class 8 (with a cummins) we did warm up (long enough to get the air up and check the brakes) and then drove "gently". If we were concerned about the weather/temp we would plug in. The few times I couldn't plug in I took it easy with the RPMs so the oil presure did not skyrocket too much.

I plan on doing the same with my CTD.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I always just start it and go
it warms up as I drive it. I just drive it easy until it warms up

G

·
I don't warm mine at all, unless there's frost on the windshield. Then I'll let it idle just long enough so that the wipers can clear it without reforming immediately. I drive it gently until the temp gauge comes up to normal.
Exactly what I do. I did tell my dealer he was nuts if thought I'd get into my truck on -20f morning and go. I told him on mornings like that it would idle at least 15 mins. He asked then what do you do after it's warmed up? I said drive 17 miles to work at anywhere between 60 and 75 mph, depending on how late I am. He said that would be fine then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my check engine light keeps coming on, so i had my dad take it to work and hook up the star scan and it shows exhaust temp sensor 3. and he said its because there is a a set time that the exhaust has to reach a certain temp in a certain ammount if time and its not doing it and the only reason i can think is that i let it warm up for 5-10 min when its cold. anyone else have this problem?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts