Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how long you guys are letting your truck run before you take off? Like when I get off work at 10pm its about 30-40* outside so I normally let it run for about 5 min. just curious if there is a recomended time for the deisels? Thanks

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
You are wasting fuel... 30-40 degrees is warm... Start it up, let the oil pressure stabilize and drive it. Don't rod it till it starts moving off the 140 degree mark.

Put your truck details in your signature line.

·
New Mexico Chapter Vice President
1,532 Posts
its been around 15 to 25 degrees here lately in the morning...i usually leave it running for around 10 minutes..then i take off

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
diesel burns very little at idle my warms up at least 15-20min any thing below 40 degrees

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
so it's a little waste. dosen't do jack for your truck

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
i grew up on a farm its a habit to let it warm up for that long

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you're worried about it, just make a high idle fooler so you can high idle or 3 cyl. high idle anytime you want - engine and cab warm up much quicker that way - especially @ -20

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
how do you do that ive tryin to fiqure out how to do a 3cyl high idle for ever

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You can go to the dealer and they upload a flash that will enable high idle and 3 cyl. high idle or if someone you know has a smarty upload a program and then take it off. Smarty automatically loads a high idle and it will stay with the truck.

I'll post a copy of the Dodge TSB later

·
Registered
833 Posts
I let mine idle for 5-10 if colder than 30 then I take easy till hit 150 or so. If warmer I only let set about 2-3 minutes then take easy. I put my foot into it the least I can till I am warmed up, but then I'll go however I feel like driving.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
unless its below 18 degrees out (maybe 1-3 min if below 18), build oil pressure and get it moving. does nothing for the truck to just sit and idle. and yes they dont burn alot at idle but if you idle like that 10 min everyday, 5 days a week for how many weeks it adds up. build pressure and go, 35-40 deg is plenty warm enough.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
I kick my high idle switch and exhaust brake and gather up my stuff in the house with in about 5 minutes I'm out the door to a truck that is completely warm 170-175*F. It doesn't matter what the temp is outside it warmed complately up in about 5-10 minutes... Nice part is its self cancelling...:thumbsup:

More on my high idle switch...
High Idle

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have been plugging mine at night so in the morning it is generally pretty easy to start and go, but I also dont romp on the pedal EVER int he morning. If i dontp lug it in though I usually let it warm up for 20-30 minutes before I drive, as it has been said it is better to let it get warm, and it honestly doesnt cost that much. I still get 12-13 mpg and my truck is just idling for easily 2-3hrs a week.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i let my gas rord work truck run for like 20 mins in the winter... screw the moter, vynal seets are COLD!

·
Registered
313 Posts
You can go to the dealer and they upload a flash that will enable high idle and 3 cyl. high idle or if someone you know has a smarty upload a program and then take it off. Smarty automatically loads a high idle and it will stay with the truck.

I'll post a copy of the Dodge TSB later

I'd love to see a copy of that TSB. I wanna print it off and take it to one of my local dealers...been to 4-5 different ones, and noone has even heard of a high idle flash. Some just say no, others will actually go into the computer and look up the TSB's and say they cant find anything. Kinda makes me wonder...

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey thanks, I'll have to show that to em..even though I'll be moving to VA this summer and prolly never need it again, lol. I thought there was some kind of feature that you could idle up using the cruise buttons?

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
Hey thanks, I'll have to show that to em..even though I'll be moving to VA this summer and prolly never need it again, lol. I thought there was some kind of feature that you could idle up using the cruise buttons?
That's on the the 3rd Gen trucks... :doh:

·
Registered
155 Posts
iam new to diesels and i always thought it was ok to let your truck idle when its cold my trucks high idle comes on it does it sometime when i first start it if its really cold out but letting it set and idle is it good or bad for the motor

1 - 20 of 24 Posts