Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ac isnt blowing cold air anymore, also my compressors cycling about every 5- 10 seconds. I know it probly needs a charge. But i also know you can get freeon with oil and with out. I do have a cheap guage but i dont know if i should get the kind with the oil or without. Also what would make the compressor cycle so much. any help would be greatly appreceated thanks. 2001 ram 2500 4x4 47re trans bhaf 190000 miles

·
Registered
613 Posts
Once mine was blowing not so cool air. I just stopped by autozone and picked up a one time bottle that had a gauge on it. While running the truck with the AC on max, I loaded it up till the gauge was showing full. I noticed it getting cooler. I went and picked up a small thermometer (sp)and stuck it in the vent. I just keep an eye on that to keep an eye on the cooling effectiveness. I think they come with oil or some sort of conditioner. Couldn't hurt to run some with the conditioner or oil, I ran it in mine. I am no A/C expert, but this is what I did to mine. Hope it helps.

·
Substation Operator
1,152 Posts
get a can of the sub zero R134 w/ oil (or 2) and a new High Pressure A/C Switch. They go bad and their cheap. The switch is what regulates system pressure by shutting down the compressor.

Reactions: bigcamcummins444

·
Banned
95 Posts
ya ive been lookin at compressors because i thought it was my last resort. so what is the high pressure switch and where does it go?

ive tried running a jump wire in the sensor above the dryer cas that usually kicks the compressor on and it wont do it so thats why i was lookin at a new compressor. i almost gaurantee that theres no freon at all in there and i cant get any in.

please help lol its hot in texas!!!!

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Double check your compressor clutch and it wiring and make sure the clutch is seeing 12V. If 12 Volts is present at the clutch then the compressor is clutch is burnt out...

·
Banned
95 Posts
if the compressor clutch is burnt out is it cheaper to buy a new compressor or just buy the clutch?

·
Registered
165 Posts
A whole compressor. And you don't need oil unless you have a really large leak, or replace components. And if you're replacing compnents you need to vacuum the system before you refil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the tips guys, I got it fixed it was just low on freon. The clutch now cycles the way it should and thair is cold air coming out of the vents. I used a can in a half without oil. 2001 ram 2500 4x4 stock with bhaf ,straight pipe

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just a suggestion... I just got through replacing my compressor, expansion chamber, accumulator, and all the different "O" rings in my AC system, go have th pros check it out for leaks they evacuate it and charge the system to spec. The milage you have on your truck the system very well has air/moisture in it which is what happens over time due to small leaks and the sort. The pros have expensive equipment that will pull everything out of your system, pressurize it checking for leaks, and charge it to the correct level; you can get some R134a in with the cheap stuff but without a proper evac. and charge your compressor will eventually go. Take it from me... then you will go from a $100 bill to a $450 if you can take it on yourself...

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Just a suggestion... I just got through replacing my compressor, expansion chamber, accumulator, and all the different "O" rings in my AC system, go have th pros check it out for leaks they evacuate it and charge the system to spec. The milage you have on your truck the system very well has air/moisture in it which is what happens over time due to small leaks and the sort. The pros have expensive equipment that will pull everything out of your system, pressurize it checking for leaks, and charge it to the correct level; you can get some R134a in with the cheap stuff but without a proper evac. and charge your compressor will eventually go. Take it from me... then you will go from a $100 bill to a $450 if you can take it on yourself...
Then maybe you should get the right tools for the job... I'm also going down that same road but for once I'm getting the proper tools and doing it right...

So far I'm enjoying my 36*F air out of the vents... It so cold I got to roll down the window to warm up again... :hehe:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I did mine myself, except for the evac and charge, couldn't se spending the $$$ for that equipment when its not that expensive to have them do it. the stock lasted 8 years and 200K miles don't really want that stuff laying around the garage unused for that long probably have a new truck by then...

I think the mech I went to said the unit he had was over 5,000.00 as he was asking me if I had used any of the ac charges with stop leak since it plugs his system.

Im out of your league don't have that kinda $$$... spend more on the equipment then the job you gotta really want the right tools...

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Actually it wasn't bad... I got the gauges and vacuum pump for about $200...

For me to drive to a shop in Boise, ID for a recharge, plus the freon and shop labor is more than what I paid for the two pieces... That's the facotr I got to look at... Is it worth buying the tools and doing myself or driving all the way to Boise, ID (3 hours away - 180 miles) plus the shop and parts... Add a new twist on parts/tools for me...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts