Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be picking up a 96 dually tomorrow.
It was in a wreck and needs front clip sheet metal.
The only thing I don't like is that it's 2wd.
Will a 4x4 axle bolt right in?
What auto trans will bolt r right up?
Or should i fix, sell, and buy 4x4?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Definitely, way too much work! You are talking about a complete rebuild on the frontend, not too mention buying transfer case, driveshaft, tranny, etc. You would end up spending a lot more money by the time you finished versus just buying a 3500 dually outright.

:banghead:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Buy it, build it, sell it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'd just go right for the 4x4. You will definitely put more time and money in than it's worth either restoring it or whatever, and especially if you convert it to 4x4.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I guess ill be the one person who says something good about swapping it. IF you can find a wrecked 4x4 or a good frame and some time i would say go for it, I bought my truck 2wd, then got a awesome deal on a 4x4 frame, front axle, t-case. and did all the work myself. What you are looking at doing is lifting the bed off and the cab, pulling the motor and tranny, then finding a 4wd overdrive unit (thats the hard part no one wants to split the unit) then put the motor and tranny into the 4x4 frame and drop the cab back on and your set! it took me about 4 days to do once i had all the parts. i also did a KDP while i had the motor sitting out. good luck! its not all the hard
paid 5k for the 2wd dodge cumming with 126k miles on it
paid 1k for 4x4 frame/axle/t-case
paid 300 for a overdrive unit
so 6300$ for a 126k mile 4wd cummins is not too bad i think!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay.....i bought the truck and it is clean aide from the wrecked front. Aide from the wrecked parts, the only thing selling with it is..... peeling clearcoat on bed and roof, torn drivers seat, busted clearance light on tailgate, and misc dents on tailgate and bed rails.
I stole this truck. Lol
Did I mention.... clean title. :p

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh... and I I'm keeping it 2wd. Gonna build this one for fuel mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts