Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the:
lowerball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, Adjustable track arm, and added the solid steel steering stablizer and upgraded to a rancho steering stablizer shock, just got it aligned and my 2001 2500 is STILL WANDERING down the road.

It does have 35's and a 2" leveling kit but come on there has to be something simple to fix this problem.

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
Did you set the caster? I put some new control arm bushings and set the caster and mine drives good now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
How do you set the caster?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah ditto on that

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
Put the frame on jackstands and loosen the lower control arm. The bolt is a caster bolt and you can rotate it forward or backward to set the caster. You want the front of the axle aiming toward the ground just a little. One you get it set right it wont follow the ruts in the road and will drive alot better.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
You got to remember when your adding larger tires and such you changing the geometery of the front end. So these mild adjustments are going to be required... But also larger tires and such tend to reduce the life span of front axle parts.:doh:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will i need to get it aligned again after adjusting those? I would think i would.

·
Registered
625 Posts
bd is supposed to make a good steering dampner for the front end I beleive, never tried it but should help.

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
Will i need to get it aligned again after adjusting those? I would think i would.
I got mine aligned and the guy told me I needed offset balljoints and that the factory caster bolts were worthless. I went home and adjusted them and I havent had it aligned since and it drives fine.

·
Registered
264 Posts
soo you kicked the bottom of the axle towards the front? or towards the rear of the truck?

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
The bottom of the axle goes towards the back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts