Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Wal-mart tint kit?

68011 Views 37 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  Elliotb16
How are these walmart tint kits??? my buddy just got a kit from walmart to put on his '80 chevy. He hasn't put it on yet but he said it was only like $10. He said it will hold up fine if you put it on right, I guess he put the same stuff on his dads powerchoke about 8 years ago and the tint on it is still really good, no bubbles, peeling or anything. Has anyone got this and tried it out? I just want a good tint that will last, but I don't wanna pay big money. thanks
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
not sure about the wally world kits.i just had both front door windows tinted to match the back for 65.00 bucks from a local shop.not 10.00 bucks.but,reasonable i thought.

· Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that doesn't sound bad... I don't know what to do, I think I will check around a little more and get some quotes.

· Registered
86 Posts
They work just fine. I've done about 5 of them on trucks - back window and two front side windows and windshield strip. The good thing is that if you screw it up it's not much to buy some more.

Just use looots of soapy spray and take your time on the cuts.

· Registered
690 Posts
They work just fine. I've done about 5 of them on trucks - back window and two front side windows and windshield strip. The good thing is that if you screw it up it's not much to buy some more.

Just use looots of soapy spray and take your time on the cuts.

X2

I tinted my truck and car and its held up since 2004.

· Registered
1,654 Posts
make sure you get the right tint, they have 3 different kinds, i accidentally bought some that looked somewhat like mirror tint when i made my tint strip.

· Registered
2,057 Posts
My tint is also from wal-mart. I have done my last 5 trucks with it and they have all looked great and lasted. Like they said use plenty of window tint spray. Soapy water works but becarefull cause some soap leaves residue.

· Registered
183 Posts
what was the tint called that u got what percent and all that info i want to ge tthe right tint to not look like crap

· Registered
1,654 Posts
Just to throw this out there, theres a few places on ebay that sell precut window tint that is pretty cheap and a decent product.

· Heck if I know
5,301 Posts
Ive done the walmart/autozone stuff. One thing, make sure you have a bunch of brand new razor blades and dont be afraid to use all of them. It doesnt pay to try to make one blade last, you will end up with a jagged edge. Also cut the tint about 1/8" down from the edge of the window or when you roll it up it will start to peel. Once you have cut the 1/8" strip off. You can take clear nail polish and seal that edge shut for good. but I would wait a day or so before using the nail polish. Also get a 6" squeegy make sure you spray BOTH sides of the tint with Solution.

Or you can spend $65 and have it perfect.

Keep in mind your going to spend about $20 for the tint then $8-10 for beer then your going to screw one peice up and have to call your buddy so he can drive you to walmart to spend anther $10 and then he is going to want a hamburger and some more beer because he drove you to the store. Now you have close to $50 into tint and only one window is tinted. Tinting a window half cocked with razor blades "Priceless" for everything else there is .........

But seriously if you have never done it. You need to do it then $65 doesnt seem that expensive.

Reactions: Ram3500Dually

· Registered
1,654 Posts
Ive done the walmart/autozone stuff. One thing, make sure you have a bunch of brand new razor blades and dont be afraid to use all of them. It doesnt pay to try to make one blade last, you will end up with a jagged edge. Also cut the tint about 1/8" down from the edge of the window or when you roll it up it will start to peel. Once you have cut the 1/8" strip off. You can take clear nail polish and seal that edge shut for good. but I would wait a day or so before using the nail polish. Also get a 6" squeegy make sure you spray BOTH sides of the tint with Solution.

Or you can spend $65 and have it perfect.

Keep in mind your going to spend about $20 for the tint then $8-10 for beer then your going to screw one peice up and have to call your buddy so he can drive you to walmart to spend anther $10 and then he is going to want a hamburger and some more beer because he drove you to the store. Now you have close to $50 into tint and only one window is tinted. Tinting a window half cocked with razor blades "Priceless" for everything else there is .........

But seriously if you have never done it. You need to do it then $65 doesnt seem that expensive.
i spent $13 and tinted both my driver and passenger window with the precut tint and it came out perfect. But ive also done all my buddies cars the cutting method. and :thumbsup: to the nail polish idea, ive never herd of that. Its a really good idea.

· Registered
183 Posts
well i got some of the black magic Premium as they call it around at our walmart and it was to mirrored out what kind should i get the cheapest there is waht did u all use and what was it called Premuim? select? ???

· Registered
755 Posts
jeeze man i just spent $100 here in CA to do just the front windows, and people tell me thats a good price....this area is WAY to expensive.

· Registered
531 Posts
I've got a first gen. and every truck and car in Juneau has a "premium" wallie job. I didn't do the front opening windows yet. I'm thinking about doing a diagonal cut where the latch is and razoring around the other circle. If I'm really feeling ambitious I'll cut a hole big enough to get the latch through and then razor it perfect.

· Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,917 Posts
I had wally world Gila tint on my truck and it faded to blue then purple in a couple months. It looked like poo. So I re-did it in proffessional grade tint that never fades or changes colour.

· Registered
73 Posts
get the gila tint from walmart, but make sure you get the one with the gold packaging because supposedly its a better product

· MI Chapter President
5,431 Posts
just my .02 but I have done a couple with the wally world stuff and it turned out OK but wasnt perfect like I wanted it. I just spend the cash and have it done by the professionals now :thumbsup: My 06 was $75 for the eyebrow and both front windows tinted :thumbsup:

Ian

· Registered
26 Posts
Walmart

Very new to Dodge Trucks, (4days), not new to tinting. Do not use the stuff from Walmart, even a very experienced tint installer will have trouble with it. No warranty either. Find a local shop that is reasonable and has a good reputation.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.