Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99% of the time does not come on. No matter if it is 65 - 95 degrees outside (I have only had it a few weeks so no cold weather yet) and the truck has not been started in 24 hours. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
The "Wait to Start" on a Cummins is an indicator that lets you know the grid heater is heating the intake. The grid heater kicks in below 55F. On my 98, the "Wait to Start" light comes on everytime the key is turned on. If above 55F, as soon as it gets a reading from the IAT it goes out; 2-3 seconds. If colder, it will take several seconds as the grid heater heats the intake. You can hear the grid heater heating; sounds like a capacitor charging.

I don't know if the newer trucks behave the same way in warm weather or not.

·
Registered
162 Posts
in my 06 I have only seen the coil light come on once since I bought it about a month ago.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good to me. I was just a little nervous cause my Ford would come on every time for like what seemed to be hours.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just wait for the fall when temps at night go down a little lower. You'll see it quite often. Of course, by that time I'm already giving it the leash.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If the intake temp is below 66 degrees then the wait to start light will come on. I never worry about waiting to start unless the outside temp is below 40 degrees or the truck has sat for longer then 3 days.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just bought an 06 and the light does not come on at all. I read the owners manual and it read that the light should come on for three seconds then go off if it is about 66 degrees.

What is the real story?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought a new 07 5.9 and the owners man says at 66 degrees temp or higher it will not come on .

and that the temp of the motor , not the outside air temp.

Read your owners manual there is lots of GOOD info in there .

·
Registered
80 Posts
My owners manual says it won't stay on but it should come on for 3 seconds as a "bulb test" This means to me that regardless of temperature it should come on for three seconds when the key is switched to the "on" position. I understand it will not stay on unless needed.

So does your light come on before you start the truck?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
No mine does not come on at start up if the temps are above 65 degrees. I think the owners manual is saying that if you do a "bulb test" the wait to start light will show up for 3 seconds to let you know that its bulb is OK.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No mine does not come on at start up if the temps are above 65 degrees. I think the owners manual is saying that if you do a "bulb test" the wait to start light will show up for 3 seconds to let you know that its bulb is OK.
I do not mean to be a brick, but that is the problem. I cannot verify it works. The bulb check does not work.

If you turn on your key to the RUN position, does your light illuminate for 3 seconds regardless of the outside temp?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Mine comes on reguardless of outside air temp, for a couple of seconds, then goes right out. If it's cool or cold out, it'll come on and you can hear the grid heater working, then here the grid heater go out, and then the light will go out. But mines a '03.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
i have'nt seen mine come on for more than a year already. just start and go . no worries. even if the light did show up, i still just fire it up. never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
But your in a fairly warm environment. Some of us NEED them grid heaters!!!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
But your in a fairly warm environment. Some of us NEED them grid heaters!!!
that is so true..........but when im up in norhern cali in the winter ive actually seen my temp reading say 8*-15*. and ive started my truck up right away even with the light on. still no issues with starting and just issues period..........wild cat has a grid heater delete and has told me he can start his truck up freezing temps 30* and below.

with that said.......im still keeping my grid heater.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Yeah, mine will start right up at 10* without the preheat. I've tried! But the grid helps the engine warm up faster too. I wouldn't delete mine either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am new here so is it possible the previous owner did a delete? Where is the advantage in this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine comes on reguardless of outside air temp, for a couple of seconds, then goes right out. If it's cool or cold out, it'll come on and you can hear the grid heater working, then here the grid heater go out, and then the light will go out. But mines a '03.
This is how my owners manual describes proper operation

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I do not mean to be a brick, but that is the problem. I cannot verify it works. The bulb check does not work.

If you turn on your key to the RUN position, does your light illuminate for 3 seconds regardless of the outside temp?
on my 05 you can push in and hold down the trip meter button by odometer (not the overhead) then turn the key to the "on" position for a bulb test. lights will flash on and needles will dance:thumbsup

the grid heater is set to run in 3 staged times depending on outside temp. should be able to find the temp range and time it stayes on in the owners manual:beer

my .02.... I dont crank engine while grid heater light is on to avoid drawing too much power at once from batteries

·
Registered
80 Posts
on my 05 you can push in and hold down the trip meter button by odometer (not the overhead) then turn the key to the "on" position for a bulb test. lights will flash on and needles will dance:thumbsup

the grid heater is set to run in 3 staged times depending on outside temp. should be able to find the temp range and time it stayes on in the owners manual:beer
I will check this out and let you know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts