Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. First of all, let me start by saying that I am new to the diesel world and to the forum. I have read and learned a lot about all of the trucks.

This is my first truck. a 6.7L diesel megacab 4X4. I am in love with the truck and the way that it drives. I have come a long way from my old F-150.

My question is, how long should the Wait to Start Light stay on when you turn the key. It seems that the truck is taking about 15 seconds to turn it off. It is about 80 degrees here in South Florida and the truck now has about 500 miles on it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thank you all

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
In 80 degree weather, just start it, and don't worry about your wait to start light.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
This be #3. Just start it. :welcome:
BTW, you may see your voltmeter dip and your lights dim for a few minutes after start up. Don't be concerned. It is the grid heater (the same one the light is waiting for) It may cycle a few times until your intake temp gets up to a level the ECM is happy with.
It is very interesting the wait lamp is lighting in those temps. Mine doesn't come on until it gets down to about 50* outside.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Wait to start Light (Grid Heaters)

The spec that I saw in the owners manual is if the intake temperature is below 60 Degrees F. The system will activate the heaters. In North Carolina when it is below 20 degrees i will plug in the block heater on a timer for heat 2 hrs before i will go to work, and the grid heaters will usually not cycle due to the block heater warming up the engine! Other than that, it cranks verry easy in the 40's without pre heating!

·
Registered
744 Posts
There is a wait to start light? Humm I just learned somthing new. I've always plugged mine in during colder weather: in Canada these trucks come with a block heater AND a cord as standard equipment.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
They all do.
Not quite. they all come with the block heater. Just not all with the cord. Those sold in the warmer average temperature deserts like mine don't come with the cord. I just bought one on ebay. I'll wait until the next oil change to install it. It'll be easier with the filter out of the way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
ive not seen a cord on my truck,does it have a heater.if so i want a cord:banghead:

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
ive not seen a cord on my truck,does it have a heater.if so i want a cord:banghead:
go to ebay. search dodge diesel heater. You'll find several. Mine just cost me about $25 shipped. The plug for it is behind your oil filter. It has a dust cap screwed on it. Like I noted, I'll wait for my next oil change to install it.

·
IL Chapter VP
3,464 Posts
check genos garage they are a little cheaper. Or they use to be anyway.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
check genos garage they are a little cheaper. Or they use to be anyway.
There's a Fleetguard replacment cord in there for $13 plus shipping. Seems like a good option as well.:thumbsup:
Found my ebay transaction. Payed $21 shipped for a OEM cord.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just bought my truck and it didn't come with the cord. I'm up here in cold Vermont. I bought the cold weather package that has the block heater cord, heated battery blankets and the winter front / grill blocker. I haven't installed any of it since spring is coming, and we've had a few cold mornings so far. Cranked and started just fine with temps in the teens.

·
Registered
807 Posts
There is a wait to start light? Humm I just learned somthing new. I've always plugged mine in during colder weather: in Canada these trucks come with a block heater AND a cord as standard equipment.
I always wait for my light to clear, it easily gets -40 here. I have to boost my battery every morning with my gas truck if i forget to plug it in as the grid heater sucks down both my batteries.

Even plugged in all night there it is still advised to wait for the light to disappear if its cold enough that you need to wear battery heated socks outside.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does all the trucks come with the heater, and that is why you only need to buy the cord? I thought it needed something else besides just the cord to plug it in.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Block Heater

The Cummins engine is standard with the block heater. It is located underneath the Turbo area, not the oil filter. it is mush easier to get at from the BOTTOM than the top!
It has a black plastic plug screwed into the end to protect the prongs from corosion. This is a COLD engine job, as I was all over the exhaust trying to get the cap unscrewed. Search the old posts and there is a picture on the location of the block heater.

·
Registered
305 Posts
... how long should the Wait to Start Light stay on when you turn the key ... the truck is taking about 15 seconds to turn it off ... It is about 80 degrees here
You may be thinking the MIL is the "Wait To Start" light. The red lightning bold is the MIL. The Grid Heater light is an amber squiggly. There is no need to wait on the MIL lightning bolt. I don't have a pic handy, but double check your owner's manual and it will show you the difference.

I made this mistake for about a week before I finally read the manual.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish i had the owners manual. my dealer has been a complete mess since i picked up the vehicle. they still owe me a bunch of stuff and are ignoring my calls and emails now.

·
IL Chapter VP
3,464 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts