Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine from work has a 99 3500 and the lift pump and injector pump just went out. He got quoted 2500 to fix the truck. I told him I would look at see if I could find him a better price. It seems that the VP is a total piece of and are almost impossible to work on without some sort of 150,000 dollar calibration stand. Who are the best people do deal with for getting a rebuild one? Does the Air Dog system totally take the place of the lift pump? If there any other IP that you can use besides the VP44?

Thanks for the help.

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
For a stock rebuild Midwest Fuel Injection sells complete kits (IP and LP) for a good price. Yes FASS and AirDog replace the POS stocker. Put a fuel gauge on too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a stock rebuild Midwest Fuel Injection sells complete kits (IP and LP) for a good price. Yes FASS and AirDog replace the POS stocker. Put a fuel gauge on too.
Replaces the stock lift pump right?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yup,
I let the lift pump go for too long about 5 years ago. With someone else doing the work it cost me 2,200.00 to R&R lift and injection pump. :banghead:

You could do it for cheaper if you do the work yourself.

·
Registered
433 Posts
What part of the country are you in?

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
A friend of mine from work has a 99 3500 and the lift pump and injector pump just went out. He got quoted 2500 to fix the truck. I told him I would look at see if I could find him a better price. It seems that the VP is a total piece of and are almost impossible to work on without some sort of 150,000 dollar calibration stand.

Who are the best people do deal with for getting a rebuild one?

Most vendors here on the site are good sources for VP44's.

Does the AirDog system totally take the place of the lift pump?

Yes... It replaces all the plumbing, pump filter, water separator, fitting, etc...

If there any other IP that you can use besides the VP44?

If you want to increase your price you could retro fit a P-pump on but there is a lot of work you got to do to get it to work.. It not cheap...

Thanks for the help.
Comments in blue...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm located in Western North Carolina. I'm looking into this stuff for myself too because I have an 01 and the same could happen to me. Mine has a new lift pump as of 3K ago but it still worries me. Does the Air Dor or FASS drasticly reduce the change of my IP failing? If so then I might sell him my LP and get one. I'm also going to do guages soon...just not really looking forward to drilling a hole in my manifold:confused013:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Comments in blue...:thumbsup:

The P pump is the mechanical pump from the 12v right? That sounds like a bunch of work. Would you have to do some kinda funky stuff to trick the ECU to make it run right? Would the Check engine light stay on all the time? Would that effect getting it inspected or does that matter on diesel trucks? Sorry If some of my questions come off stupid but I'm pretty new to diesels.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
The P pump is the mechanical pump from the 12v right? That sounds like a bunch of work. Would you have to do some kinda funky stuff to trick the ECU to make it run right? Would the Check engine light stay on all the time? Would that effect getting it inspected or does that matter on diesel trucks? Sorry If some of my questions come off stupid but I'm pretty new to diesels.
Yeap is a mechanical pump. It only requires a 12V signal to pull the fuel solenoid. As for the CEL light and codes there is going to be issues there but I'm sure there is some people that figured out how to deal with that... As for engine inspection in would most likely fail because of the wrong pump being used. But you need to do a lot of work to covert the engine over for a P-pump.

So since the VP44 is the only cheap choice at about $1,100 to $1,200 buck roughly. I would say get a stock SO pump. Upgrade to a AirDog 100 or 150 series pump. Get a fuel pressure gauge and keep the fuel pressure above 10 PSI all the time. Then add a 128:1 shot of 2 cycle oil to every tank of fuel. If you do this you should be able to hit the 100K mark like I have without much problems... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the purpose of adding 2cycle oil to the fuel? I have heard of people using burnt motor but I didn't have any clue why they were doing it.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
What is the purpose of adding 2cycle oil to the fuel? I have heard of people using burnt motor but I didn't have any clue why they were doing it.
Let me enlighten you then...:shock::hehe:

Here is my huge web site full of 2 cycle oil information...

Main page...
2 Cycle Oil

Bosch fuel testing...
http://mopar.cumminsforum.com/pdf/022003bosch.pdf

Dieselplace.com fuel additive testing...
http://mopar.cumminsforum.com/pdf/hfrr-testing-dieselplace.pdf

Now looking at this... You'll notice WEO/WMO rated poorly at #13 on the list. But notice the lubricity of 2 cycle oil was much better on the list at #7 with a 474 HFRR. But if you jump up to 128:1 ratio like I'm doing then is roughly ~382 HFRR (calculated) which is right up there with Opti-lube.

But looking at Bosch requirements request for <400 HFRR, Dodge request for <460 HFRR and the Gov't request for fuel to be <520 HFRR. I would listen to Bosch they are the King's of fuel systems... :headbang:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would doing so make it smoke more?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts