Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just wondering if there was any way to id the correct key for a certain pump? I don't have the old key so just looking at that one is out of the question..thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
If you need a replacement just go to Cummins, you will get the correct part.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have a cummins dealer close by or I would..only stealerships..

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I have a 028 sitting around. But if your replaceing your pump it has to come with one, or it wont run right. That is how the Pump is calibrated.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey guys just wondering if there was any way to id the correct key for a certain pump? I don't have the old key so just looking at that one is out of the question..thanks for the help!
When I replaced my VP44 @ about 60K miles (bought the truck new) the rebuilt pump I bought and installed had the new key with a stamped number on the top crossed out with an engraving tool and a different number scrolled onto the side of the key. I just thought they somehow shaved off some of the metal during the timing process. My rebuilt pump now has 120k on it.

P.S. I still have my old pump core with the key number 036. I didn't replace the VP44 under warranty because I pierced the wire for my Edge Comp, and I never sent the old core back to the rebuilder because it still worked, just hard to start.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Im pretty sure theres a 3 digit # stamped on the key and on the id tag on the pump. Its very important that they match.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Im pretty sure theres a 3 digit # stamped on the key and on the id tag on the pump. Its very important that they match.
The key on the original VP44 that was on my truck when I bought it new has 3 numbers and an arrow= 036.

I don't know what's going on with the pump calibration technicians and their crossing out stamped numbers and and replacing them with an engraving tool number but I just noticed that's what they did with my 1st pump too, only this time they did it on the pump body. :confused013:

See attached pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Tricky mechanics, must have another way around factory specs.:doh:

·
Registered
439 Posts
The key on the original VP44 that was on my truck when I bought it new has 3 numbers and an arrow= 036.

I don't know what's going on with the pump calibration technicians and their crossing out stamped numbers and and replacing them with an engraving tool number but I just noticed that's what they did with my 1st pump too, only this time they did it on the pump body. :confused013:

See attached pics:
You probably bought a rebuilt or remanufactured pump. The technician has to recalibrate it after rebuilding it and it most likely took a different key.

On edit: there shouldn't be anything wrong with buying a rebuilt pump....after all the Bosch built pump on my truck failed!

·
Registered
217 Posts
You probably bought a rebuilt or remanufactured pump. The technician has to recalibrate it after rebuilding it and it most likely took a different key.

On edit: there shouldn't be anything wrong with buying a rebuilt pump....after all the Bosch built pump on my truck failed!
blu_by_u,
The VP44 pump that was stamped #.044 but was crossed out with a electric engraver and the #36 inscribed next to it was the pump I removed off my truck which I bought new with only 18 miles on it, and wasn't touched until it had 60k mi on it when I replaced it.
Are you saying that my brand new truck in Oct of 1999 already had a rebuilt Bosch VP44 in it?? :mad:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I doubt it.. honestly i don't see how a woodruff key can change anything assuming it's not a special degree key or anything. It's there to align the pump to the gear, it only has one place to sit in, no adjustment or anything..it must be a certain thickness to stay in the pump and gear..see my point? The numbers must match thing is jibberish IMO, made up by less than knowledgeable people. Now they do make special keys that advance or retard timing by up to 4 degrees(on quads anyway...), but i've seen at least 3 VP44 woodruff keys and all looked identical, regardless of numbers. If someone has proof that it matters i'd really love to see it

EDIT:
Found this on another forum
"If the pump shaft is 1" in diameter (been a while since I looked at one, I think its less than an inch though), then the circumference is 3.142". 1 Degree is equal to .0087". So 9 thou will affect timing by one degree. Hard to see that in a picture. Should be fairly evident by feeling it."

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found the numbedr on the pump: 046. Called the dealership and they said they were not showing that in the computer. Any suggestions or anyone happen to have it layin around?

Reactions: 01cumminspower

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
My 028 key looks similar to this, advanceing the timing. So yes the key does affect the way the truck runs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts