Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what wires are what that go to the vp44. I know the Edge comp connects to one of the wires: what, specificly, does that wire do? What wire(s) send the message to run more/less fuel dependent on the ECM? NEED HELP!! :beer

·
Registered
72 Posts
The wire the edge comp connects to is the fuel solenoid wire. This is the wire that the little computer on top of the vp44 uses to open/shut the fuel solenoid, which is located in the center of the hydraulic head (where all the injector lines connect to the pump).

The edge comp works by holding the solenoid open longer than the vp44's computer does.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The connector that the wiring harness connects to (the 9-pin connector) carries power, ground, and signals:

vp44 datalink (+ and -) : This is how the vp44 computer and the ECM communicate. The ECM sends fueling/timing commands over this datalink, and the vp44 sends back fuel temperature, the RPM signal from it's internal sensor, and encoded error information.

There is also a line that is used by the ECM to tell the vp44 when the engine is at TDC, and a 'low idle select' signal, I'm not sure the exact function of this signal. Obvious power/ground signals too.

Most performance boxes 'intercept' the datalink signal and alter the data going to/from the vp44, in addition to working with the above mentioned solenoid.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know the exact wiring diagram? which wires are what? what wire is the rpm signal wire? How does the cummins limit RPMS?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, I'm not talking about modifying it, yall assuming. I just need to know what wires are what/what they're purpose is/so on so forth. This has nothing to do with modifing to get more fuel or anything. Just take it like it says, please

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
pin 1 bus -
2 bus +
4 low idle select
5 fuel shut off
6 ground
7 12vd supply
8 fuel sync supply
Be very careful,the pins are close together and if you short the wrong combo you just bought a pump

Bob

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
148 Posts
okay, i hear stuff all the time about tapping into the wire.

so, with the plate, you dont have to splice the wire right? and the plate gives a 100% solid connection?

if i get the adrenaline, would it be a wise choice to pick up one of those little plate things too?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
okay, i hear stuff all the time about tapping into the wire.
A lot of people use cheap scotchloc's or other external means to connect to the wire. In any case you VOID the pump warranty as soon as you do this! But the plate will not VOID the warranty with some pump buildiers...

so, with the plate, you dont have to splice the wire right? and the plate gives a 100% solid connection?
100% solid connection that water and corrosion won't effect!

if i get the adrenaline, would it be a wise choice to pick up one of those little plate things too?
Yes.. It a very good thing to get a plate for any fueling enhancement! :thumbsup

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes.. It a very good thing to get a plate for any fueling enhancement! :thumbsup
excellent!!!

i will calculate this upgrade into my budget! thanks alot for the reply!:$:

btw.....what companies make them? i remember seeing one on a website awhile ago for i think $68 or somthing, not too expensive at all!

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Be careful with the stealth covers. I have tried 2 brands and have had connection issues. Also, another buddy reported low power when the engine idled for more than a few minutes.

It's my opinion the small contact surface coupled with engine heat can cause the cover to slightly distort breaking or reducing contact.

Both cases were immediately resolved by the best method of tapping the wire. Soldering in place and using some liquid electrical tape. By soldering in a short length of wire, we now have a replaceable end that can be used with any fueling box and unplugged quickly if needed.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts