Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

vp44 vs hotrod vp vs dragon vp

11129 Views 30 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  No23
Does anyone know from personal ex. about these mine is going out and would like to know if there really is a diff. between them. Not the hear say bullshi!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
Well, first off you posted in the classifieds.

the VP44 is the standard pump that comes factory the 98.5-02 autos and 5 speeds got the SO or standard output and the few 01.5-02 6speeds got the HO or high output.
The HO is built for high pressure low volume it can support upto 480 in most cases sometimes 500+ if the pump is real fresh.

The SO is made a little different with less agressive timing but larger plungers and offers high volume at low pressure so while the low end isnt as strong it can support upto 600 or sometimes 650+ if the pump is super fresh.

The HRVP is a combination of the SO and HO parts to create a high volume and high pressure pump that can be run on both trucks and with the extra pressure and timing of the HO parts and the extra volume of the SO parts it adds from 40-100 hp and is suited to those that dont want to run a comp or other fueling box but need a replacement VP anyway OR those like me that Have a HO truck and want to make more than the 480hp limit of out worn HO pump. It must be noted that these pumps compromise the already short life span of any VP44 with their high performance design.

The dragon flow is similar to the HRVP only is that much more Volume at high pressure and the increased HO timing. where the sleeves or whatevers are bored in the HO pump to accept the bigger SO pistons on a HRVP this pump gets bored out that much more to accept even larger pistons/plungers. This pump Is considered Competition only as it Has to bee run with 250hp or larger injectors and has to be run with .93 or larger crossover tubes and or lines. The reliability is completely compromised on this pump so its for only the most serious enthusiasts to run on the street or for Off road only dedicated pullers or drag trucks.

Hope this helps if not Use the Frappin search feature or Get the money to buy any of the three and call the vendors themselves that is why they make the big bucks to put up with all of our questions and to SELL(twist our arms into buying) us the products! ! !

Reactions: rcrobinson_44

· Registered
232 Posts
just curious how many miles u have on the scheid unit so far?

· Outlaw Diesel Lc
79 Posts
I have put in 2 of the industrial injection hot rod pumps. Big difference between it and SO pump.

· Registered
27 Posts
I have the HRvp44 and i love it so far. It gives your truck a little bit of a higher idle, but i love it. It's alot better then a stock vp44. It improved the bottom end and makes some smoke. I have about 2-3000 miles on it so far. I'd suggest the HotRod pump, worth the money. I also put on a stealth cover while doing the pump and i recently got a comp box and there is very little interference with the two working together. There is a little interference at slow speeds when your bearly on the throttle. It really rolls the smoke with the comp box on level 5, till my clutch slips. Thats another thing, i put my hotrod pump on and i only had an edge ez on and the clutch started slipping when you lay into it. From what i heard the hotrod pumps are a true 100hp.

· Registered
936 Posts
so what timing amount is added to hot rod pumps? also bd told me they have never had a hrvp brake EVER??

· Registered
516 Posts
so what timing amount is added to hot rod pumps? also bd told me they have never had a hrvp brake EVER??
You mean "break" :thumbsup:

· Registered
936 Posts
:doh:no they had cross drilled slotted rotors on it and it wouldn't stop:rof:rof:hehe:

· Premium Member
8,065 Posts
As usual they are full of ----. pgdsm from this board said "15 k KM or about 8 months. On bd hp vp44 seized rotor, always ran two stroke and never below 16 psi of fuel for it's whole life."
:stirpot:

· Registered
2,106 Posts
i would never put anything but an SO pump on my truck. the difference in price is immense, and once you start lookin at 1500-2000+ dollar vp pumps whos failure is inevitable, i would just p pump it.

on the other hand, if i had deep pockets and enjoyed doin vp swaps, i would prob put one of those high horse pumps in. but my pockets are shallow and have holes in them, and i have bad dreams about vp swaps.

· Registered
232 Posts
not sure how long the BD HP pump has been out but according to Dave @ BD they have had only 1 come back and it was chalked to contaminated fuel...

· Premium Member
8,065 Posts
not sure how long the BD HP pump has been out but according to Dave @ BD they have had only 1 come back and it was chalked to contaminated fuel...
What would you tell folks who asked? "yes, actually they fail all the time. Why?":rof:banghead:

· Registered
1,971 Posts
i would never put anything but an SO pump on my truck. the difference in price is immense, and once you start lookin at 1500-2000+ dollar vp pumps whos failure is inevitable, i would just p pump it.

on the other hand, if i had deep pockets and enjoyed doin vp swaps, i would prob put one of those high horse pumps in. but my pockets are shallow and have holes in them, and i have bad dreams about vp swaps.
:agree2: SO's is definitely what I'm going to stick with.:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
8,065 Posts
would wire tapping a hrvp44 have even more power gains?
less. The HR's are already slightly turned up so there is less to be gained before you hit the 650hp wall.

· bla.........
815 Posts
im running a dragonfire and so far things are looking good redline is going in when i get home........ hopefully i can see what its really gonna make hp wise... :lol3: ill update when i get home but so far its way street friendly with my setup.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.