Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

VP44 Rebuild Kit?

22541 8
VP44 VP-44 Dodge injection injector pump rebuild kit:eBay Motors (item 350301468415 end time Jan-15-10 09:38:22 PST)

Sounds like my VP is dead, has anyone attempted to rebuild one of these pumps themselves? $51 is alot easier to take than $1200. I am very confident in my mechanical abilities, but my main concerns lie in the calibration, etc. This kit does not come with instructions so I am curious whether it is alot more intricate than a simple tear down and rebuild.

Thanks in advance!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
918 Posts
Thats a reseal kit, not an overhaul kit. There are many specialized tools required to properly overhaul a VP. Heck, some injection shops around here wont even touch them! There are alot better deals out there than $1200, just do your homework before you drop the coin! Good luck!

· Rescue Tower
11,008 Posts
VP44 VP-44 Dodge injection injector pump rebuild kit:eBay Motors (item 350301468415 end time Jan-15-10 09:38:22 PST)

Sounds like my VP is dead, has anyone attempted to rebuild one of these pumps themselves? $51 is alot easier to take than $1200. I am very confident in my mechanical abilities, but my main concerns lie in the calibration, etc. This kit does not come with instructions so I am curious whether it is alot more intricate than a simple tear down and rebuild.

Thanks in advance!
Seriously??? This is a high pressure, precision timed injection pump. You think $51 will get a pump back to operating specs? That's an insult to shops that actually can rebuild these pumps.

Request a quote in the vendor section. $1200 will probably the the highest you ever see.

· Registered
542 Posts
LOL, I just posted a thread yesterday about the exact same thing. I was told by some of our bigshots that you cant do it without the $100,000 flow bench and the $50,000 tools required to do it.

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,491 Posts
LOL, I just posted a thread yesterday about the exact same thing. I was told by some of our bigshots that you cant do it without the $100,000 flow bench and the $50,000 tools required to do it.
It's absolutely true. Go ahead and call up all the vendors to see who actually rebuilds their own inhouse. You'll find very very few.

· Registered
792 Posts
It can be done. There was a fellow on TDR a few years back that bought this kit. His seals were torn and replaced them. I think it only lasted for a couple months tho. He even mentioned that is wasnt worth it.

I wouldnt do it. There a pain to tear a part and get that dam timing ring back on when you slide it back in the housing.

As in calibrations, as long as you dont take the wires off from internal you should be ok.

· Registered
792 Posts

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I think the kit would be worth it if by some odd chance there was just a leak due to a faulty seal. However I never really hear of seals leaking on the VP44, they are usually toast before the seals break down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.