Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep you guessed took the old vp44 out went to put the new one in. got it in checked to see if the shaft and gear turned at the same time. NOPE. so i guess the key must be inside the gear housing. Is there any way to get this key without taking off the front plate. to take off the front plate it looks like i need to take off the main pulley and fan clutch is this correct? Does anyone have any other way to get this little key?

thanks

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Unless you can see it, or get to it I think you have to pull the front cover... Might want to use some superglue or something to hold it in place...

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
pull the VP and go with a magnet into that area. You might get lucky.
The best method is with TDC mark on gear at 7:00 the key is at 12:00. A daub of yellow paint on key and a mirror at front will allow guiding into position easy.

·
Registered
773 Posts
pull the VP and go with a magnet into that area. You might get lucky.
The best method is with TDC mark on gear at 7:00 the key is at 12:00. A daub of yellow paint on key and a mirror at front will allow guiding into position easy.
Actually TDC would be a 5 o'clock.

Just feel around with a magnet as said above.

If you can't get it that way remove the fan, shroud, belt, fan pulley, balancer, and front cover.

I would put the pump back on without the cover just to make sure it get lined up right

·
Registered
167 Posts
Getting the timing cover off is no big deal. I took mine off, removed fan, think it was idler pulley and had it off in less than an hour. Had new one all painted and ready to go, install new gasket and put all back in place. Maybe took 3 hours, at home, saturday and no big hurry.

A heavy silicone grease works good for holding things in place, dab a bit in the slot and push in the key and it'll stick.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
A little tip in my write up is to super glue the new key in place on the shaft before installing. This keeps the key from being pushed out or falling out of the shaft.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea mopar man i was using your write up it helped lots. thanks. It just seemed to fit in there snug but apparently not snug enough. So i have to remove the fan and the bottom pulley? How do i hold that pulley so i can remove the bolt?
I just got this truck about 3 weeks ago and before i put it on the road i wanted to do all the maintenance so i got an airdog 150 and was sent the wrong fitting. I took the turbo off to rebuild it and bent the compressor fan. Now i go to change the vp and i loose the key. I think i'm cursed.

thanks for the help guys

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
:doh: Dude!

I included that note in my write up to save you guys the trouble of dropping the key...

·
Registered
433 Posts
:doh: I hate it when that happens :banghead:

·
Registered
191 Posts
vp44

same thing happened when i changed a buddies pump. I went in through the timing cover with a telescopic magnet. Picked up the key. I figured i got lucky. Try that first.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i usually have to find things out for myself. Gonna try and get lucky with a magnet. Think i could drain the oil and it would come out with it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well finally got the gear cover off and there is no key. so now i have to drop the oil pan to look for this thing?

·
Registered
773 Posts
well finally got the gear cover off and there is no key. so now i have to drop the oil pan to look for this thing?
Did you take the pump gear out?

Check behind the power steering/vacuum pump gear really good.

You can drain the oil and get a good flexible magnet from an auto part store and go through the drain hole and fish around a little bit, when my engine ate my key thats how I got the pieces out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes i took the pump gear out and looked around with a flashlight i didn't see anything. I just called the place where i got the pump from and they are going to send me a new key. As long as the key isn't in the gear housing anywhere it shouldn't do any harm? im thinking its just sitting in the oil pan. Any harm in just leaving it there?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
can you get a magnet dwn in ther pan ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i tried a telescoping magnet from the gear housing into the pan and got nothing but frustrated. I'm gonna try smokin24valve's idea of draining the oil pan and sticking a magnet in the drain hole tomorrow.

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
I think it's ok if it's in the oil pan. As long as that's where it's at! ;-)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes i took the pump gear out and looked around with a flashlight i didn't see anything. I just called the place where i got the pump from and they are going to send me a new key. As long as the key isn't in the gear housing anywhere it shouldn't do any harm? im thinking its just sitting in the oil pan. Any harm in just leaving it there?
There is a pretty big space in between the p/s pump gear and the pump it self.

My key got chewed up by the gears(luckily it did no damage to the gears) and most of it ended up in the oil pan. I could see where it came out from behind the p/s pump gear(there was a little nick in the housing), and took a mirror and looked around but did not see anything. I pulled the p/s pump off and lo and behold there was a piece still in between the gear and the p/s pump sitting on one of the fins.

·
Registered
773 Posts
This is what I used, it was like $7 or $8. If you go in through the drain hole it will reach over half way, if you don't find it there go through the front of the engine. I took a strong magnet(that came in one of my son's magnetic sets) and attached it to a wire hanger to check around the drain hole, because the flexible magnet would not bend 180* in that short of a distance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts