Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Ram 2500 24v Cummins, 47re, 4x4, fass 165 lift pump, edge comp box, 150hp Hot VP44
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, was at a big car show today, and did a big burnout, at the end of the burnout, the truck shut off, wouldn’t start. It got hot but not out of the comfort zone. I’m having ecm problems (wts light refuses to come on anymore and weird starting) I put some fuel in the truck, bled the system, no fuel to the injector lines, I unplugged the up, plugged it back in, and got fuel to the lines, enough to get the truck started. Truck ran perfect, let it idle for a while make sure it wasn’t gonna die, then drove home, about 5 minutes later I got dead peddle, and CEL came on (couldn’t read the code because I left my reader at work), peddle came back about 5 seconds later, cel went off. I’m just curious if the ecm got hot, and is causing problems, or if it’s more likely the vp fried itself. I have felt like the vp hasn’t been sending as much fuel as it should consider the modifications I’ve made to the truck. Fuel pressure never dropped below 18 though! Hasn’t been under 10 psi since I got it 2 years ago.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Have you scanned for codes?

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
Dying at end of burn out may be separate minor issue from over boost situation and fuel cavitaation in the VP when you let off of it, which you fixed with bleeding. Otherwise the ECM is shot and needs replacing ASAP. It is possible dead pedal is from dirty battery cables or a bad apps but most likely due the the KNOWN bad ECM getting worse fast. Pull codes and see if there is also any VP codes.

·
Registered
1999 Ram 2500 24v Cummins, 47re, 4x4, fass 165 lift pump, edge comp box, 150hp Hot VP44
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dying at end of burn out may be separate minor issue from over boost situation and fuel cavitaation in the VP when you let off of it, which you fixed with bleeding. Otherwise the ECM is shot and needs replacing ASAP. It is possible dead pedal is from dirty battery cables or a bad apps but most likely due the the KNOWN bad ECM getting worse fast. Pull codes and see if there is also any VP codes.
Code was p0121 (APPS fault), have a new hot pump coming, sending the ECM out to get rebuilt/cleaned, and have a new oe apps sensor, I’ll keep updated on what the problem was, but I believe all 3 needed redone anyway. I also have the apps completely rewired and grounded, with a new(ish) apps, so I’m leaning more ecm and vp

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
What brand APPS did you buy? An Autozone Duralast is the best made by Wells engineering. 0121 is most often due to issues with dirty battery, damaged or loose battery terminals or corroded cables not sending clena voltageto the APPS. It can also be because of the bad ECM. Do you have constant good lift pump pressure when ruinning?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What brand APPS did you buy? An Autozone Duralast is the best made by Wells engineering. 0121 is most often due to issues with dirty battery, damaged or loose battery terminals or corroded cables not sending clena voltageto the APPS. It can also be because of the bad ECM. Do you have constant good lift pump pressure when ruinning?
All the battery terminals were scrubbed squeaky clean, apps was rewired, and thinking back, when I got the truck, the truck ran for a good 15-20 minutes with no lift pump at all, and my last pump would dip to about 8, so I’m just gonna play it safe, go one piece at a time, and I’m going to order the TIMBO APPS as people seem to like them

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
Don't use the Timbo. They have problems sometimes becasue the idle validation voltage is too high for some trucks ECM's. If you really think you need one get a Wells from Autozone under Duralast name. What do you mean rewired apps or did you just add a ground wire? But I believe your ECM not sending the proper voltage to the apps is the reason for the code.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't use the Timbo. They have problems sometimes becasue the idle validation voltage is too high for some trucks ECM's. If you really think you need one get a Wells from Autozone under Duralast name. What do you mean rewired apps or did you just add a ground wire? But I believe your ECM not sending the proper voltage to the apps is the reason for the code.
I just looked, the number on the apps shows as a 16$ one off Amazon, thinking that’s also a big part of why it **** the bed, but I’ll try to autozone apps too

·
Registered
21,299 Posts

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
When installing the apps rotate it to adjust a voltage on Pin #3 to just under the voltage printed on the ECM tag or if not there, between .5v and .529v. The Timbo is preset at .64v and not adjustable and causes surging issues on some trucks because it does not match idle validation voltage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When installing the apps rotate it to adjust a voltage on Pin #3 to just under the voltage printed on the ECM tag or if not there, between .5v and .529v. The Timbo is preset at .64v and not adjustable and causes surging issues on some trucks because it does not match idle validation voltage.
Lots to add to this, put the new vp in last night, truck idles amazing, runs good, one code for the boost sensor, but wouldn’t rev past around 1500, checked the sensor and it was at .02. Haven’t driven it yet, but got it set at .51 and I’ll let you know how it goes, thank you for all the help sir

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Recalibration and the new vp fixed it, truck runs like an absolute top now, thank you for all the help with the apps!

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
Did you do the apps key cycling reset upon installation?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you do the apps key cycling reset upon installation?
I did not, I read something by moparman saying that does not do/help anything. Set the sensor, let the truck sit for a while while I tinkered with some other things, and fired it up, works like a charm

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
It usually does not fix anything but is supposed to be done to sinc' the apps and ECM, usually when either is replaced. Pretty easy. Just disconnect batteries half an hour or overnight and leave with key to ON. Then turn key off and replace cables. now cycle the key three times to ON, leaving it on the third time. Slowly depress throttle to floor and release slowly once. Turn off. Start and drive. Not a big deal but you should still do it.

Reactions: magnumsmom
1 - 15 of 15 Posts