Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone local ever done one? How long did it take? Anyone willing to lend a garage/tools/help? I cant really afford to pay but I can definatly get some beer and pizzas. :beer:

Chris

·
Boiler up!
2,451 Posts
steering wheel puller and a lot of wrenchs and the usual tools lyin around wish i was closer or id help u. some stubby gearwrenchs help too. ive had mine off twice.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
be patient, number your injector lines with tape and a number!!!!, it should take 3-5 hours out and in. dont tighten the banjo bolts too tight on the injection pump, i had to buy a 2 just because i stripped the **** sucker...other than that its pretty simple

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Im hoping to find at least one local guy whose done it before.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
theres a video on youtube on a guy who goes step by step on how to do it. and he shows some neat trucks to help during the removal/install.

heres step 1 out of 5 the rest are on the side bar.

YouTube - VP-44 Install and Removal Series 1 of 5

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got done watching all of the videos, it doesnt seem "hard" more like tedious. Dropping the key definatly has me nervous.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
oh ive done about a hundered or so, id love to come and help, but im swamped the next couple of weekend. here's some pointers, make sure that you barr the engine aorund so that the pump shaft position has the keyway pointing at 12'oclock, that will greatly reduce the change of dropping the keyway into the gear housing. when you take the fuel lines off, they come of in 2 bundles, (3 lines per bundle), just look at the way that they are routed off of the pump, you'll see the ones that the tied together, dont remove the fuel line isolators, just take out the intake plenum cover bolts that hold both the isolator, and the cover down. you dont need to remvoe all the cover bolts, only the ones that hold down the fuel lines to the plenum. use a socket, and about a 8"-1ft. extension to get the to the inner gear housing mounting nuts. take your time, you'll do just fine. they look scary, but they really arent that bad.

wes

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I just did mine a few weeks ago. I have a puller and all the tools. I live in Fairfax, VA if you want to drive down this far, you can borrow the puller and stubby wrenches. The next weekend I have free is May9th.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts