Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

South means mild winter, North means temps below 32 deg.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I am not trying to cause a cival war LOL.

But I was wondering if VP44s fail more often in colder climates over warmer climates, due to cold fuel delivery and condensation during winter months? Another factor may be low voltage to the computer and lift pump. The grid heater tends to draw alot of juice at warm up.

· Registered
2,047 Posts
I thought there was a pattern here at first glance...then I realized only one other person had voted. :doh:

· Diesel Filled Veins!
5,772 Posts
I think it's hard to nail this one down as there are so many variables (fuel delivery being the most obvious). I don't ever remember the father in law saying he replace the VP44 and I bought it at 450 000km of which he put on probably 350 000 of those with the stock lift pump (and living in the north as I do). Reading around, seems like computer failure is the main culprit for failure due to heat/cool cycles stressing the soldering connections on the PCB(s) of the VP44.

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's computer failure, all mine were. The VP37 which is like our pumps without the computer doesn't fail nearly as often and will happily run up to 6500 rpm without a lift pump.

· Registered
6 Posts
i don't know how to vote. i bought my truck at ~127k from the original owner. it mostly pulled a 5th wheel tt from OK to AZ many times. to my knowledge it is the original pump (now at ~170k). he kept pretty good records...but could have omitted something?

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
I live in the East. Do I get left out? It gets colder than crap and hotter than blazes here. Seriouslly doubt ambient temp is large factor in failure. JMHO of course.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
N, NE, NW same thing
S, SE, SW same thing

Below 32 deg is the baseline, but it might be more like 20 deg?

You can doubt what ever you want, but by the few voters, I see a pattern in the N, NE, NW, no need for you to vote, just replace another VP44 and keep your fingers crossed JMHO. After all I am the newb here ;)

· Registered
576 Posts
I live in south Texas and have never had a VP44 failure. I bought my truck September 1, 2001 with 12 miles on the clock. I now have 205,483 miles on her. First stock lift pump replaced at 127,000 miles (don't know how long it was out). Installed Airdog at 192,000 miles. Started 2 stroke diet at 198,000 miles. Still going strong. (runs a 15.1 second quarter mile!)

I know my story is not typical, but I don't mind bragging!:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
damned yankees :lol4:

my truck is on its third VP...one died of bad fuel, another of comp. failure or something i guess....both replaced under original warranty though :D

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in south Texas and have never had a VP44 failure. I bought my truck September 1, 2001 with 12 miles on the clock. I now have 205,483 miles on her. First stock lift pump replaced at 127,000 miles (don't know how long it was out). Installed Airdog at 192,000 miles. Started 2 stroke diet at 198,000 miles. Still going strong. (runs a 15.1 second quarter mile!)

I know my story is not typical, but I don't mind bragging!:thumbsup:
It seem you guys have better luck with OEM lift pumps down there as well. The cold is brutal on vehicles, I remember when radios had analog knobs on them, even the volume control would be stiff on a frigid day. I am sure those lift pumps, pumping that thick fuel, with the shaft at negative degrees is under alot of strain. I had 2 VP44 failures, and multiple OEM lift pump failures, and I must say, I never had a failure in the summer.

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
ooooh yeah, i forget to mention that the stock carter, STOCK as in FACTORY carter pump just went out on my truck w/ 138k on it.....

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ooooh yeah, i forget to mention that the stock carter, STOCK as in FACTORY carter pump just went out on my truck w/ 138k on it.....
There ya go, another warm weather pump, going the distance, I had my first lift pump replaced at less then 30K, and I probably been through 5 or 6 with 120K on the truck? Maybe it is more of a lift pump problem, rather then a VP44 problem?

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
hell it's not even really "out", the rotor still spins on the shaft, but it has no torque...i guess it just doesn't have the power to suck enough fuel to keep the truck running....it's a good thing i noticed this when i was changin fuel filters, and not while i was drivin

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hell it's not even really "out", the rotor still spins on the shaft, but it has no torque...i guess it just doesn't have the power to suck enough fuel to keep the truck running....it's a good thing i noticed this when i was changin fuel filters, and not while i was drivin
I never bothered to analyse a failed lift pump.

· Registered
4,160 Posts
i live in the north and put one VP on at 50K i think thats just because it was ran with a Comp box basically from day 1 without an aftermarket lift pump....so it was operator error:doh:....on the otherhand dad had his replaced at 88K all stock

· Registered
4,160 Posts

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
I never bothered to analyse a failed lift pump.
take off the three studs on top and the cover comes off, then a seal comes out, and then there's the rotor.....

for right now i'm runnin the Air Tex stock replacement pump, but i'm gonna be runnin a FASS HPFP 150 when i get the hoses and fittings for it....and a FP gauge

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.