Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a Vp44 from a 2001 fit a 1998.5 24V as long as the key stays with the pump. im not sure if its HO, trying to find out know. what are tell tale signs of a HO pump. what years were the HO 24V cummins?
weird probably stupid question i know
thanks guys
John

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
the HO was on the 6spds. the tag on the motor will state that its a 245hp motor.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, just the answers i was looking for. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
but the HO should work on a SO motor.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but the HO should work on a SO motor.
should it, ive heard horror stories of mis matched pumps thats why i was like ummm id better do some research. its a 2001 2500 auto so i dont think its HO but didnt know years or whatnot

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i have personally seen 2 different HOs on SO trucks. also Mopar Man has a HO on his new rebuilt motor.

·
Registered
416 Posts
can i get in on this?

just today I had my lift pump fail while my truck was pulling of the rack at the shop. made it about 1 foot then died and no start. We checked the fuel pressure and found barely 1psi and could hear the pump running in the tank. I just got this truck last Friday... the 13th no less.LOL
I already have a AirDog100 ready on hand but am now considering just doing the VP just because. I have a HO eng so is there any reason I would go with a SO pump instead of a HO pump? I understand that on the upper end it a SO pump could potentially make more power. I would like to make this truck as reliable and economical as I can. It seems that additional power goes hand in hand to a extent along those lines. I have plans for +50 or RV275 injectors. I have an Edge Juice W/attitude on hand already.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
go with the SO. you might notice a drop in power in stock. put your airdog, rv275s, and eja. you will be much happier and have much more room to grow.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I thought it was the increase in compression of the HO that held back the output on the upper end? Where is the point at which the HO pump starts to hold things back? I guess I am asking is at lower levels "under 400" or where would you say, would it be a benefit to have the HO over the SO? Or is it just at the boosted levels of the Juice that make the difference? Thanks, Curt

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
the HO will limit you around 500hp but i have seen some around 550hp. i have also seen some SO pumps fuel to 650hp. My SO will be here this week. I have been thinkin about the compression for high hp. i am going to have to drop it to what a SO engine is most likely

·
Registered
416 Posts
just by reading on the forum here I would say if I got to 400hp I would be doing really good. Trying to boil down the info it seems to me that the difference between towing power and power that will require serious upgrades just to keep from breaking parts starts around that point would you agree?
I am just trying to see if there is any benefit to me to get a SO pump. I don't have the time or money to alter the compression of my engine. I think a HO pump would serve me best in my situation but not necessarily for someone who is ultimately looking to make a lot of HP. I just want to tow my trailer as economically and easily as possible. And this will be a daily driver when I am not towing.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
You don't need to lower compression to run an SO pump on an HO engine. If your getting a new pump I would go SO IMO. The HO is better down low and the SO fuels harder in higher rpm's.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The HO pump has smaller plungers and barrels. 7mm compared to 7.5mm.
Sean

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well I had thought i had some kind of problem with this truck since it seemed to be sluggish and did not want to get moving until the rpm got up to 1800-2000. I wonder if my lift pump failing would have caused that It seemed low on power. :banghead: I guess on one hand it is good to get this stuff out of the way but on the other I was not planning on spending the money right now.... oh well :doh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts