Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

vp pump gear removal and puller Q's

1990 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  01dodge91ford
I am going to be replacing my vp pump tomorrow. I have a t puller already to pull the gear off but i wasn't sure what size the bolts are? I read mopar mans website and it says "Attach two M8 X 1.24 MM (metric) screws through puller" but all i could fine was M8 x 1.25mm screws. Do you guys know if that was a missprint? Or if my M8 x 1.25mm bolts will work?
Thanks for your help.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,207 Posts
m8x1.25 is correct, I have always used the ones that I got in my puller kit

· Cummins CrAzY
1,396 Posts
I got m8x1.25 at TSC. BTW you are going to hate that t puller, you have to wrench in between the fan blades. I got a snapon gear puller and it was SOOO much easier. Life is good when you have the right tools to do a job. BTW watch the videos on youtube by dan mcdonald they are a life saver!!

· Premium Member
1,019 Posts
The best pump gear puller for VPs I have ever used is the cheapest steering wheel puller I can find.

I cut the center bolt to allow me to get my long handled, swivel head ratchet in there. It never takes more than a couple of light pulls and she's free.

Dave

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hammer? Im not working on my old ford anymore! Lol. :hehe: well i got a couple different length m8x1.25 so i should be good.
One more question though. will I be able to see the keyway from the front side of the gear to line it up at 12.00 ?

· Registered
231 Posts
You should just go all the way, and P-PUMP that bad mother, then you wont have to worry about it!!

· Cummins CrAzY
1,396 Posts
Once the nut is off you will be able to see it.

· Registered
6,585 Posts
The best pump gear puller for VPs I have ever used is the cheapest steering wheel puller I can find.
I cut the center bolt to allow me to get my long handled, swivel head ratchet in there. It never takes more than a couple of light pulls and she's free.

Dave
thats what i got :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Hammer? Im not working on my old ford anymore! Lol. :hehe: well i got a couple different length m8x1.25 so i should be good.
One more question though. will I be able to see the keyway from the front side of the gear to line it up at 12.00 ?
When I put the new pump in, I use a yellow paint pen and mark the front of the keyway on the pump.

Then I line up the pump with the gear by using a small mirror in the front of the engine and a strong backlight from the rear. I get that thing lined up pretty quick that way.

Dave

· Cummins CrAzY
1,396 Posts
Set the 2 pumps side by side and clock them, if you take your time everything will be lined up for you.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pump went in easy, and truck runs so much better. I did foreget to put the lower mounting bracket on at first and realized I couldn't do it after it was on, so i had to take everything back off :doh::doh:
Otherwise everything went good, and was real easy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.