Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 01 24valve and ive had it for about a month and love it. Untill yesterday when it sputtered and then died and would not restart. There is no check engine light and it cranks properley but its not trying to start. The lift pump didnt sound like it was running so i replaced it and now its comming on. I tried to bleed it at the injector lines but im not getting any fuel. So it sounds like an injection pump? I want to be positive before i spend 2ooo. How can you confirm its the injection pump? And how hard are they to change? Im going to do the work myself. Im also curious about the hot rod pumps. Ive heard they give the trucks a lumpy/rough idle. Like a big lobe cam gas motor. Is this true? Are there any downsides to these pumps? other then the price. How true is the 100 horsepower gain that they claim. And that will probely fry my orginal tranny with 130k on it pretty quick huh? If anyone has any advice please post becuase I need my truck back ASAP. Thanks

·
MI Chapter President
5,684 Posts
Since you have a 2001 you can do the key trick to bring up any codes...

Turn key to the "ON" position then to the "ACC" position 3 times rapidly... and on the 3rd or last time leave it in the "ON" position and write down any codes that come up in the odometer area

lets us know what the codes are and we'll get you a for sure answer but it does sound like the VP44 went.... I take it you dont have a low fuel pressure light or fuel pressure gauge then..... They are a good investment.

Hot rod pumps arnt what they are cracked up to be... seems like guys are having more luck with a standard pump and the "monster pumps"
- A hot rod pump rarely will give you any lope but a MONSTER pump will.
You can find a SO VP44 for around $1000

I have only helped personally on one VP swap but i didnt seem to be that hard other than needing a gear puller and you DONT want to drop the keyway in the front cover!!!

hope this helps:thumbsup
Ian

(monster pumps check the link in my signature at the bottom)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Bleed the fuel line at the pressure test port on the side of the injection pump. If you tap the starter without cranking the engine, the lift pump will run for 30 seconds or so, making it easier to bleed the lines and filter. If you have fuel present at the VP44, and none thru it, it is likely be VP44 but not inevitable. It'd be worth the money for an equipped diesel injection shop to at least troubleshoot it before you spend over a grand in a VP.

Ops

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i tried checking for codes with the key and didnt get any so i tried with a friends scan tool and there are no codes. Ive got fuel going to the pump so is there anything else i can check?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts