Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Vp 44

829 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  bugsbunny549 
#1 ·
Well I have posted some other places but I just put a holley blue on my truck on SAturday. The truck has been running FINE until today. Like the truck has even been running better then fine until today. I drove it home, and then as I went out to start it (after I put my newly purchased DR. P. on, the truck wont start. Throwing 2 codes now P 1693 (has been since i did the LP) and P 1689 and I am hearing people think this is the VP44 is going bad.

My question is, did the adding of my Dr. Performance do this, or was it just my VP44's time?

Also on this same note, my PSI is around 10, but never goes below 6 when I stomp on it.

Is this part to blame? its only been a week.

#2 ·
P1689 means "no communication between ecm and injection pump." I wouldn't necessarily blame it on anything you put on the truck. I would just say its your vp's time. As long as you are certain that your fuel pressure never drops below 6 psi.

#3 ·
I have been watching the FP VERY carefully because being at 6 makes me WAY nervous. but my question is when i crack the injection lines they still are spitting diesel...

could it be the low psi? is that fixable without buying a new pump?

#4 ·
There are a lot of people on here that are going to disagree with what I'm about to tell you, and hopefully no one shoots me. My family owns an independent diesel repair shop and when my vp went out, we called directly down to cummins to ask them about the fuel pressure requirements. They told us that 5 psi is the minumum by the book, BUT, as long as you have positive pressure you should be ok. What you DON'T want is for your VP to turn into a vacuum and start drawing its own fuel. Thats when you'll run into trouble. So no, I don't think 6 psi would make the VP fail, but if I were you I would still like to see it a bit higher. It's a little too close for comfort, like you said.

#5 ·
your lift pump will pump fuel through the vp44 thats why it is spitting fuel when u break the lines loose

#6 ·
Your error sounds like the VP. It's the electronics that are dying, not the physical pump. That's why you are losing communication with it. Still wouldn't run it below 10psi. The volume also helps cool it.

#9 ·
I had a guy post in another thread that Midwest Fuel Injection has rebuilds for less than $1,000. I have no experience with them directly or indirectly, so buyers beware.

#10 ·
Yeah I saw some on ebay for less than a grand but I would be a little skeptical. I bought one two years ago from Valley Diesel Injection for $1075. They're local to me and I've dealt with them before. I'd sooner spend a little extra money with someone I trust...and make sure it has a warranty!

#11 ·
Yeah I would do the same. I just looked at Midwest's web site. They seem to be reputable. They also sell FASS and BD's hot rod pump. I know there are some guys out there really hurting for money so I try to keep the budget options in the back of my mind. Not sure if they are a vendor on here though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.