Cummins Diesel Forum banner

vp-44 warranty

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  jbarker 
#1 ·
well I just bought a new- reaman vp-44 in october of 2007 I have had problems with it in the past and got them fixed everytime for free and what not but it's taking up time and diesel fuel driving up there to get it fixed now it is acting up again throwing p0251-p0252 and p0253 codes. the truck doesnt run very good all the time like its not getting fuel. can I ask for my money back on the pump this time... Im tired of messing with this pump Im just going to spend the money and get a monster... thanks for any input.

#2 ·
First off I don't see any gauges in the signature. The biggest problem is fuel pressure and keeping the VP44 happy... You need at least 10 PSI at all times for the VP44...

I would highly suggest you pugrade your fuel system that protects it. Like a AirDog 150. Its got a full fuel line kit to upgrade to 1/2" fuel lines from tank to VP44, better fuel filter (2 micron) and pre-filter water separator, not to mention a better pump... The filter are before the pump to portect both the AirDog and the VP44... It's worth the money...

AirDog Fuel Pump

Second off the newer ULSD is not good on a fuel system that was design for LSD. So adding a 128:1 ratio shot of 2 cycle oil will help extend the life of a good VP44... 2 Cycle oil will not hurt your fuel mileage I'm pulling 21.7 to 23.3 MPG currently. I've got over 75K miles on my VP44 and no problems!

#3 ·
:agree2: But the monster vp44 is the only way to go for these trucks as well. The manufacture of theses pumps is a top notch guy and there is no one out there with more knowledge then him on these VP44's. IMHO
if you want the best performance and mileage from a VP44 this is the pump to use. We have a truck out there that made 600+ h/p with a stage 2 monster pump and the stack injector combo and a single turbo and he gets 20+ MPG on the highway with it:thumbsup
John:beer

#7 ·
farmboy thats kinda a understatment dont you think. I guess I will have to buy it off someone else then. I know what I need to accomidate it... I have been hearing for years that holley pumps wont do this they wont do that. mines fine????????

#10 ·
I guess it time to upgrade to a better pump... Like Raptor, AirDog, FASS, or similar... Trust me you won't be sorry you did! :thumbsup

#11 ·
I'm tired of puttin money in hi-dollar systems when...

For a great deal less money you can take care of the problem much, much cheaper.
Perma-Cool Kit #1221 and 2 PH8A filters take care of pre-pump fuel.
Ford F81Z-9C407-AC lift pump (check EBay) with a gauge and you are good to go with a higher ratio pump & add a bypass valve kit from Glacier Diesel. Unless you are a tractor puller this combo will take care of 999% of your problems. My 44 lasted almost 300K, till the BS Walbro (sp) pump took a dump at 12K and killed my VP44. The OE Carter/Chrysler lift pump is a
pooch... replace it with anything else, run some kind of 2stroke oil to compensate for (crap) fuel and see if you can't "get r done". Service your fuel system (filter) every time you change your oil, buy em' by the case :>)

Flame On,
p.c

PS. The reman VP 44 is great but... if it's subjected to starvation, will leave you at the side of the road and if you aren't looking @ a gauge all the time, OUCH!!! :thumbsup

#12 ·
PS. The reman VP 44 is great but... if it's subjected to starvation, will leave you at the side of the road and if you aren't looking @ a gauge all the time, OUCH!!! :thumbsup
Not really... I've added a low pressure light to my gauge so it will get my attention sooner...

#16 ·
Here is mine...

Between the VP44 and the fuel filter...

...and my older setup on the output of the filter...

#14 ·
i tapped mine right into the outer side of the vp44, the second banjo bolt from the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.