Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1999 Dodge 3500 and trying to change out the Vp 44 I don’t appear to have the 13mm bolts of the newer Style Bracket, Watching Videos and can’t find anything on Which bracket is holding this on. Is it the torx head bolts into the Block? And how do you guys access these with what tool. Thanks in advance Rick

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
Welcome. Don't understand what you are saying. Which ever it is just remove it and reinstall on new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. Don't understand what you are saying. Which ever it is just remove it and reinstall on new one.
Not sure if I am removing the right bracket trying to work in hot Sun with mirror and light, what I was asking is there a Bracket that mounts to the Block behind the injector pump that is held by 2 Torx head bolts and appears to go the Pump. I thought maybe had dealt with this before. All I could find was Videos showing a removal of 2 13mm head bolts and looked easy. Sorry Newbie bear with me. I called Dap and talked with a Gentleman and he said it is bolted right to the cover and that’s it. But still seems solidly mounted with 4 hold down bolts for injection pump removed and I didn’t want to break anything. Thanks Rick

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
Yes the bracket bolts to both the pump and block. I did it last summer for the third time. One set of the bolts was the torx, the others i do not remember. If I remember correctly you take the bolts out to the block and unbolt it from the timing cover an pop off the gear. (don't drop the nut) Then slide it out with the bracket on the pump then change while of the truck to the new pump. Bolts may be easier to reach from under the truck, or by feel. Remember to clock the Timing marks(keyway) to TDC or straight up before disassembly. Then clock the new VP key way to match. The little disk puller is about 15 bucks at Autozone.

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
Maybe I am all wet but, I do not remember having anything like that bracket on my 99. I believe mine had a stamped or forged bracket with two bolts on the VP and two to the block> I do not know anything about "new style or old style" brackets. Has it ever had an engine swap? Got pic of VP from a bit further away? And what is you actual issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update got the Pump installed and Bracket changed to new Pump not sure if my Bracket was stock or not but wasn’t Broken so reinstalled it. It had 3 10 mm socket head bolts holding it on. 2 were to the pump and 1 to a Bracket mounted on the engine. I didn’t have to remove any Torx bolts from the Block. Thanks for the help. I aligned the Key after painting it yellow and checked and double checked it was in. All is good only have to replace fuel heater gasket. Thank God for all the Great Posts and Pictures people Provide for Newbies. Thanks again Rick God Bless

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
You mean the o-ring on the fuel heater plug in the top of the filter housing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Bigfish I think I stated the part wrong just replaced the intake Horn gaskets not sure what is what new to Cummins everything is going good so far thanks for your Pictures and help.Rick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update Truck is running Perfectly now after clearing Codes Thanks for all the help, advice, Pictures etc. Don’t think I could have done without your Help. On to More Power next. Thanks Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts