Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 24v cummins. Extended cab short bed SLT Laramie 172k miles, stock except level and tires
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 24v Cummins with 174k miles. And about 3 months my truck had a weird loss of power and check engine light came on. The 2 codes where both APP sensor or TP sensor. I tried replacing it with a. Cheap one and didn’t work so I thought I would have to buy the entire throttle body. Well sense this has happened my fuel pressure has gone from a constant to moving wonky. Where it has slowly been dropping. Where at idle it would sit at 7 at the lowest and when I hit the gas it would follow my rpm’s and go to 15 - 16. I thought it was maybe the gauge messed up or the TP sensor screwing with it. Or when I brought it to the mechanic maybe he put the sensor reader on wrong spot and so reading not consistent. Well I was driving home the other night. And it dropped to 4 fuel pressure, and when I hit my throttle it didn’t go up and the truck died. When I cycle my key it reads no fuel pressure. I have to hold my foot on gas and hold key, stop do it again and sometimes it will build pressure and start. My question is this a vp-44 injection pump problem or maybe a fuel pump problem or even just the fuel filter. ???? The codes it reads are not vp-44 related either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 24v Cummins with 174k miles. And about 3 months my truck had a weird loss of power and check engine light came on. The 2 codes where both APP sensor or TP sensor. I tried replacing it with a. Cheap one and didn’t work so I thought I would have to buy the entire throttle body. Well sense this has happened my fuel pressure has gone from a constant to moving wonky. Where it has slowly been dropping. Where at idle it would sit at 7 at the lowest and when I hit the gas it would follow my rpm’s and go to 15 - 16. I thought it was maybe the gauge messed up or the TP sensor screwing with it. Or when I brought it to the mechanic maybe he put the sensor reader on wrong spot and so reading not consistent. Well I was driving home the other night. And it dropped to 4 fuel pressure, and when I hit my throttle it didn’t go up and the truck died. When I cycle my key it reads no fuel pressure. I have to hold my foot on gas and hold key, stop do it again and sometimes it will build pressure and start. My question is this a vp-44 injection pump problem or maybe a fuel pump problem or even just the fuel filter. ???? The codes it reads are not vp-44 related either.
honestly sounds like a mix of both fuel pressure and a bad vp, but just to check i would pull the fuel filter and change it, but while your there look in the base of the canister and look for metal shavings, my dads 2000 was acting up and turns out it was metal shavings from the lift pump going out,

·
Registered
2001 24v cummins. Extended cab short bed SLT Laramie 172k miles, stock except level and tires
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
honestly sounds like a mix of both fuel pressure and a bad vp, but just to check i would pull the fuel filter and change it, but while your there look in the base of the canister and look for metal shavings, my dads 2000 was acting up and turns out it was metal shavings from the lift pump going out,
Ok I pulled the filter and it’s dirty as hell. In the bottom of it looks like a lot of dirt and maybe metal shavings I’ll have to buy a magnet and test it out. What’s weird is I tried starting it before this and it still wouldn’t but I opens the canister drain and fuel shot out very very fast. So there is pressure building in the canister but not reaching the injector pump.

·
Registered
23,469 Posts
Sounds like both the lift pump failed and also killed the VP$$. Replace the lift pump first and see if it helps, if not the VP next.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts