Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok boys on my morning cold start ups the past 2 days I noticed my voltage meter was bouncing low the come back up. I also noticed the dash lights would dim down then light back up. Dont know if its the battery's or the alternator. If its the alt should I buy a higher amp output alternator. Also the truck idles rough like it has a bad injector or cp3, is this a side effect from my above statement.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My truck does that too

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Grid Heaters... man I wish I had a dollar everytime that was the answer...

·
2,248 Posts
Its the grid heater cycling on and off as stated above. At a certain intake temp the ecm cycles the grid heater to increase the inlet temp for cold starts.

·
Registered
336 Posts
totally normal

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thats a relief, mine was doing the same thing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I get the same thing, and a few puffs of white smoke at cold startup

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about the idleing of the engine when the truck sits overnight and its cool out the truck when first stars its like cuts out on the idle tach goes up and then way down like its going to cut out until she gets a little warm.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
what about the idleing of the engine when the truck sits overnight and its cool out the truck when first stars its like cuts out on the idle tach goes up and then way down like its going to cut out until she gets a little warm.
In your case it doesn't sound like the grid heater. how cold are you talking about? my truck will automatically idle up to 1,000rpm when temp is in the low teens but still runs smooth

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
were talking south florida man cold here is 50 to 60 people here are in winter coats I left cold years ago in michigan anyway we had a cold front come through and it was in the mid 50's early in the morning and that's when the idleing problem had started after it warmed up late morning early afternoon back into the 70's the peoblem was not noticable.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does this affect the idle like engine revs up and then bottoms out like its wants to stall then idles normal after a few up and down idles. I hope its not a injector or bad cp3 truck seems to run fine after warming up. My thing is in south florida it realy does not get cold occassionaly but in the morning a couple of times a year we get 50's in the morning until it warms up. Early this week we had a cold front 2 mornings in a row that was in the mid 50's and that when the truck acted up. Since then it has been in mid 70's and no problems. Need help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts