Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm impressed with the mileage on the new 1500 Ram eco-diesel. It was getting around 19 MPG pulling a 7000 pound trailer on a sibling side by side test I just read, where the new 6.7 Cummins only got around 15 MPG. They claim 28 on the Highway and I like those numbers.

Am I ready to give up my ability to know that if I really want to I can do this?

Hell no! I'm keeping my long, man sized, AMERICAN MADE, Cummins!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have to agree with you. My boss said when the 1500 diesels came out that I should sell my 03 and buy one of those since I refuse to go back to a slow underpowered cant pull a wet noodle in half gas guzzling hunk of junk. I told him I wont give up being able to get good fuel mileage, tow anything I can hook onto (within reason), and look cool doing it. My only regret with my Cummins is that I didn't buy it sooner. His 2012 chev 1500 with the 5.3 dropped 2 gears pulling his snowmobile trailer with a JD Gator up the hill by our house to maintain the speed limit, the same hill I walked up in overdrive with my gooseneck with 18 round bales on and held 55mph no problem.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the same hill I walked up in overdrive with my gooseneck with 18 round bales on and held 55mph no problem.
That's what I'm talkin bout.

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
The two aren't even comparable, you might as well trash a Prius because it can't tow...

One's meant to work, one's meant to get the best economy in a pickup. Both can lay claim to being successful in their own niche (assuming the EcoDiesel lives up to the mileage when it's released to the real world).

I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But when a base model stripper truck with the diesel comes dang close to 40k...ain't happening.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:agree2: No we're not comparing apples to apples here but I don't pull anything over 5000 pounds. To give up my Cummins for one of these just aint happening even when it makes more sense. I can't do it even if it was a free exchange.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The two aren't even comparable, you might as well trash a Prius because it can't tow...
You are right about 1 thing, you can't compare the two. Almost no one needs the power of the modern Cummins 6.7. The prices also make comparison pointless. It's crazy the power of the big diesels pickups, they should have stayed with the 5.9. The VM motor has plenty of torque for most poodle and it looks to be very well built. How many people tow a dozer or 4 horses?

Here is link to many good images of the motor"

Inside The Banks VM Motori 3.0L 630T V6 Diesel Engine - Diesel Power Magazine

I only question the new 8 speed auto and the coils in the back, don't like the coils on the 2500 either. The auto trans is not proven for the torque of a diesel yet. If I could get the V6 1500 diesel with a manual trans I would do it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess what it comes down to is that we are comparing the coolness factor. Why do so many buy Harley's when the Jap bikes are better for them?

Sure the big Cummins has it's place and I seriously considered buying the new eco-diesel. I'm just one of those illogical guys that likes Harley's.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If choosing the V6 diesel against the 5.7 Hemi, it better get at least 20% better fuel mileage for the spread in diesel cost these days. $1.109/Ltr vs. $1.349/Ltr up in this neck of the woods. That's over $5/gallon.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wise choice, I'd pick the eco diesel over the Hemi any day. Even with the cost per gallon higher you will have much more range with the same amount of fuel.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If only they would have put that 5.0l cummins in the 1500's. I think it would be a lot more appealing even just because of the name..

Reactions: Chowderhead72

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
If only they would have put that 5.0l cummins in the 1500's. I think it would be a lot more appealing even just because of the name..
I can agree with this. Seeing how everything has developed, I have a pretty good gut feeling that's why Fred Diaz left for Nissan; something tells me the 5.0 Cummins was his "baby" and he was pushing for it, but Fiat came in and said "no, we're going this route" and he probably shopped the idea and Nissan bit.

And when he got Nissan to commit to it, he bade Ram farewell.

Is it bad when I know neither the 1500's or Titans yet have a diesel in them to the public, yet I've already started looking for badges?:doh::hehe: Gonna be weird to see the Big C on a Nissan though, can't deny it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:agree2: With both of you.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I can agree with this. Seeing how everything has developed, I have a pretty good gut feeling that's why Fred Diaz left for Nissan; something tells me the 5.0 Cummins was his "baby" and he was pushing for it, but Fiat came in and said "no, we're going this route" and he probably shopped the idea and Nissan bit.

And when he got Nissan to commit to it, he bade Ram farewell.

Is it bad when I know neither the 1500's or Titans yet have a diesel in them to the public, yet I've already started looking for badges?:doh::hehe: Gonna be weird to see the Big C on a Nissan though, can't deny it.
i guess we'll see if the people or loyal to cummins or ram

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I'm impressed with the mileage on the new 1500 Ram eco-diesel. It was getting around 19 MPG pulling a 7000 pound trailer on a sibling side by side test I just read, where the new 6.7 Cummins only got around 15 MPG. They claim 28 on the Highway and I like those numbers.

Am I ready to give up my ability to know that if I really want to I can do this?

BEST cummins sled pull black smoke - YouTube

Hell no! I'm keeping my long, man sized, AMERICAN MADE, Cummins!
Did you finish the article?
for Joe average the choice comes down to (paraphrased)
"For the person who commutes and and only pulls his toys or who's trailers are on the lower end of the spectrum the 1500 would be the truck of choice, If the trailer tops 9k lbs or you tow a lot the 2500 would be the truck of choice".
The article (in DP) is meant to be informative to Joe (not a diesel enthusiast) Average.
Besides after reading the editoral "Being Different" I'm not so sure THESE guys know what they are talking about! Thinking outside the box is putting diesel cylinder heads on a gasser block???? are you kidding me? Remeber the converted Olds 350 gasser debacle from GM that (to this day) we are still trying to overcome!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
If choosing the V6 diesel against the 5.7 Hemi, it better get at least 20% better fuel mileage for the spread in diesel cost these days. $1.109/Ltr vs. $1.349/Ltr up in this neck of the woods. That's over $5/gallon.
If I was to get get rid of my gasser Hemi 4x4 1500 (2003 it's paid off) I'd get the eco-diesel in a blink.
The Eco-diesel according to the reviews gets 2-1/2 times what the gas hog hemi gets on a good day!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd like to see what kind of miles they can rack up without major repairs before getting one.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I'd like to see what kind of miles they can rack up without major repairs before getting one.
I think it'll be quite a few.
They've been using these in Europe for years.
I like it myself.
The van I use in Italy for work, a couple of times a year, has one in it.
Runs great and plenty of power even in the mountains.
Of course over there 85% of all vehicles are diesel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ill give this question 2 minutes of thought after the motori proves it can go 100k without blowing its guts. then Ill give it 2 minutes. After it proves it can outlast the Ram junk truck? then I might consider it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I like the idea of the 1/2 ton V6 but I think out of the big three Ram has the most loyal following diesel wise because of the Cummins engine. I see this working out well for Ram but I don't see as many of us Cummins guys jumping ship to go to a foreign made engine when we all thought four or five years ago that it was going to be a nice little Cummins crammed in that 1/2 ton. I did ask about the new 1/2 ton Ram diesel at my local dealership and tossed the idea around but now thinking about it more if I went 1/2 ton it would be a F150 with the 5.0.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
603 Posts
me. i'll keep fixing my old ram, it becomes a habit i guess. like an old jacket or a old pair of boots, once you get comfortable with it, then shes a keeper

1 - 20 of 47 Posts