Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a vibration that just showed up recently. It feels like it's coming from the front end but not 100% positive. Just recently had the tires balanced and roars red and with how bad the roads are right now I'm wondering if a weight fell off and I've got a wheel unbalanced now. It's going to go back in this week to have then checked again. One thing I've noticed though is it only seems to happen when under throttle. Engine runs smooth, starts great, no smoke, no stumble in rpms. Have good stabile rail pressure and boost. I'm going to check driveshaft u-joints and axle shaft joints but you guys have any other ideas that I should check out?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking, it seems to be most noticeable when sitting in the passenger front seat. I have been using 4wd a lot lately also.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was just thinking about this again and about a month or so ago I had a squeak coming from the front end at slow speeds and slow turning, but it went away before I had a chance to check it out. Makes me lean more towards a u-joint.

·
Registered
805 Posts
if if comes from throttle than it has to be coming from drive shaft. axle u joints, unbalanced tire and wheel bearings will cause vibration certain speeds not amount of throttle.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check out the DS. If I have a joint bad, are a joint that can be greased or a sealed unit the way to go in the driveshaft?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to replace both at the same time if it is in fact the driveshaft, anything else I can do down there while I have it out?

·
Registered
805 Posts
do you ever grease front drive shaft? if you do rear drive shaft make sure the front ds joints are tight. if that fails it can be very costly.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest I have not, is it just your normal zerk or is it a needle zerk.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not sure if the early trucks had this. My truck does, but my cousins 2004 didn't. You should have a sticker under the hood.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any good write-ups for replacing these joints? Should I buy a press?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'm not sure if the early trucks had this. My truck does, but my cousins 2004 didn't. You should have a sticker under the hood.

mine doesn't have a sticker but has a fitting. i guess the first owner removed it or they forgot it.

to the op, I never replaced mine myself always brought it to my mechanic but he was around 160 for both joints on main drive shaft. for that price I thought I wouldn't even attempt it. heres a video I found with a quick search but it's not that informative.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.