Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the prob. Pullin my 16k toyhauler, when I get under heavuer load like going up a long hill I get a vibration which feels like a shudder.It feels like a fuel problem and I'm going to change the fuel filter. The big thing is that I can't hear it in the exhaust. I drove 175 miles yesterday no problem. Fueled and it started. Ran that tank out and have refueled, cetane and 2-stroke. I hope that does it with the filter change. Any other ideas? If not, I'm gonna have to limp it home. 400 miles.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump.. :ah:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no help today guys?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
heavy load when climbing hill, vibration, shutters..... sounds like its starving for fuel

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, the odd thing is that when it starts, i can press the acc. pedal down and it will smooth out. Changed ff. lift pump filled fine.:confused:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Shutter

Ok, here's the prob. Pullin my 16k toyhauler, when I get under heavuer load like going up a long hill I get a vibration which feels like a shudder.It feels like a fuel problem and I'm going to change the fuel filter. The big thing is that I can't hear it in the exhaust. I drove 175 miles yesterday no problem. Fueled and it started. Ran that tank out and have refueled, cetane and 2-stroke. I hope that does it with the filter change. Any other ideas? If not, I'm gonna have to limp it home. 400 miles.
Sounds to me like the lock up converter is slipping. Had one do that to me. When you press the gas, it unlocks. Mine would shudder at the point it was locking.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. thanks for the info. I'm not getting any rise in rpms like i would think i should if it was slipping. I could be wrong though. How do we check it after i get it home without a load on it and what do yall think would be a good solution besides just replacing the converter. I havent had any trouble with the tranny before and I see no need in a $4k high hp/tq handling tranny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shudder under load...

Similar/same problem.... Hard shudder under light or heavy load; usually around 42+/- mph. Tap the brake and rpms jump about 100 and shudder goes away. Also, backing off or getting on accelerator gets around it. I'm into the repair for about $1,500 with no improvement: u-joints, replace governor solenoid for torque converter, reprogram tranny computer and lift pump replacement. I need some new ideas please.

·
Registered
271 Posts
curious do you have posi..?rear axle clutches? maybe some friction modifier with a fluid change...seemed to fix my rig and it s a cheap thing to rule out.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've experianced shutter on take off that ended being Overdrive related, however I'd say it's T.C. related won't lock up Properly!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shudder

$5,000 later...it was torque converter and bad valve body. Finally found a mechanic at a dealer in Denver who knows what he's doing. Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts