Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 5.9 4wd. I have a vibration coming from what I would assume is the drive train. I dont feel it at in town speeds but once I reach about 55 mph or above, I feel a consistent vibration while giving it throttle but once I let off, it goes away. I only feel it at speeds greater than 55 mph give or take. It is especially noticeable between 60-75 mph. I dropped the drove shaft and both rear ujoints seem good with no restrictions from movement and have no excessive play. I removed my front drive shaft and the vibration is still present. I do have play in my front driver side wheel (wheel bearing is going bad) but do not believe it is the culprit since the vibration is present only while on the throttle. The rear wheels have the slightest movement, maybe 1/16th of an inch or less unless I'm imagining things. Does anyone have some insight or could that front wheel bearing some how be the issue? Just doesn't make sense with the front driveshaft being out and nothing to put it under load. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Did you check pinion play? But seriously it sounds like you have a I joint issue on the rear drive shaft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check pinion play? But seriously it sounds like you have a I joint issue on the rear drive shaft.
Rear pinion has no play. The rear pinion seal has been bad for quite some time but the rear diff has never gotten low on fluid. The ujoints looked very aged but move freely with excessive play or movement. But like I said they visually look crappy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear pinion has no play. The rear pinion seal has been bad for quite some time but the rear diff has never gotten low on fluid. The ujoints looked very aged but move freely with excessive play or movement. But like I said they visually look crappy
Visually they look like ****

·
Registered
873 Posts
Use a bar to pry and check for any play in the ujoints. If there’s no vibration until 55 play will be minimal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use a bar to pry and check for any play in the ujoints. If there’s no vibration until 55 play will be minimal
I checked with a prybar before removing the drive shaft and there was no movement at all. I removed it to check for stiffness and like mentioned it moves freely. Im at a dead end

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had a similar situation and it was the u-joint. I couldn't get much play with it but It doesn't take much!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I checked with a prybar before removing the drive shaft and there was no movement at all. I removed it to check for stiffness and like mentioned it moves freely. Im at a dead end
You have it out. May as well replace them now. Other option is to take it to a driveline shop and have them check the balance.

Mind you, balance will cause a vibration at all times, not just when accelerating or decelerating.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I would fix front wheel bearing could cause issue, wheel will be out of alignment and not safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts