Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 dodge 2500 HO cummins
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he all,
yesterday i noticed a clicking noise coming from the rear end at low speeds under throttle.
then when i put it in park heard a bit of clunk, went from prnd a few times to see what the noise was and now i have a vibration that seems to only come up after 20mph/ second gear.
can see the tcase shifter vibrate pretty aggressively, and it only does it under throttle.
jacked up the rear end and the truck has a bit of a shake in gear at idle, can also see the drive shaft move around a bit.
been having some troubles with the truck going in and out of gear/ reverse quite hard with a clunk, (more so with reverse at first but ever since yesterday it now makes a noise going into drive to)
going to get the drive shaft balanced tomorrow. all new u joints with in the last 2 years.
could it be t case related? trans needs a band adjustment but i dont see how it could be related to that.
any ideas ? similar experiences?
thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sounds like u joint(s). Do you have a center bearing? If so, that could also contribute. With the truck in neutral so as to not apply any torque to the drive shaft, give the shaft a good shaking next to each u joint. That'll point to any bad ones.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like u joint(s). Do you have a center bearing? If so, that could also contribute. With the truck in neutral so as to not apply any torque to the drive shaft, give the shaft a good shaking next to each u joint. That'll point to any bad ones.
u joints all seem to be good, tight atleast. also greased them.
and its a one piece shaft
and i can rotate the wheels by turning the driveshaft with it on jacks and in neutral

Reactions: Nater_Potater

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would take the driveshafts off and inspect the u joints. Sometimes you can't tell while on the vehicle if they are bad or not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would take the driveshafts off and inspect the u joints. Sometimes you can't tell while on the vehicle if they are bad or not.
thats the plan tonight, will post results

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
definitely a bad u joint on the diff side, year old moog trash ahah.
hopefully that is the only issue

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea was definitely a u joint, one of the moog ones I installed a year ago,
weirdly one of the grease holes in the one cap was blocked so it wasnt getting lubrication.
the one cap not getting grease was all rusted out and the pins were gone haha.

threw another moog in cause I had a couple extras in my box.
cleared up the vibration and couple other issues as well...
was getting a nasty clunk going in and put of reverse as well as on down shift from 2nd to 1st as well as 1st to 2nd that I assumed was a problem within my trans....
so thats cool haha.
weird that the u joints seemed totally fine until I had the shaft out and noticed the 1/8th ish of play back and forth on the yoke.

so lesson learned I guess, because I was pretty sure the u joints were good.
Lesson number 2, moog sucks haha

Reactions: Nater_Potater

·
Registered
2,717 Posts

so lesson learned I guess, because I was pretty sure the u joints were good.
Lesson number 2, moog sucks haha
Leson #3 -- Buy and use Spicer lifetime lubricated, triple sealed u joints and add a bit more compatoble grease to each cap before installing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leson #3 -- Buy and use Spicer lifetime lubricated, triple sealed u joints and add a bit more compatoble grease to each cap before installing.
yea thats the plan, did moog throughout the hole truck last year and have replaced 3 of them already

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The dab of extra grease in the Spicer caps before installation not only helps keep the needle bearings in place during installation but also helps make up for the cheapness of Spicers grease dispenser.
Mind you I am talking about adding no more then 1/2 teaspoon extra grease per cap.

·
1,590 Posts
Definitely had better luck with SKF than Moog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts