Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Vibration issue

8982 Views 75 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  Blackjack6
I've got a vibration going on in my truck, it feels like it's coming from the rear. Here's some other info too:

- got the 4 wheel hop at the girlfriends cabin on the sand, vibe started immediately after that

- went to dealership paid $150 to have them diagnose the problem; they said road force balance the tires cause after road test it felt like tire vibe

- that didn't help; but they scratched the $hit out of all my rims

- pulled the rear driveshaft and took it for a drive in 'frontwheel drive' vibe is still there. Brought the driveshaft to a different shop and they said the joints are good

- vibration happens at 70 miles an hour and up

- occurs with or without TQ locked

- when I manually shift gears in the auto, vibe stays

- vibe is more apparent under a load

- when I am towing a load (15k) it's much more noticeable. Maybe twice as bad if not more

- inspected front driveshaft it seems ok, but I'm not a mechanic or driveshaft expert

- shook driveshaft and there seems to be a lot of slop in the drivetrain, but the tranny mounts appear and feel intact and the bolts are all secure and not sheared

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
I've got the exact same problem. Vibrations just over 65mph and gets worse up to 70+. When I shift down with the auto it stays there. So the vibration is not RPM based its speed. I've been trying to figure out what it is. The truck hardly has 5k on it.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
When I get back home, in two weeks, I'm leaving it at the dealer till it's fixed. I'm out of standard warranty, but luckily I bought the extended warranty.

Let's keep each other posted here and hopefully get to the bottom of this sooner than later.

I pretty sure it's coming from the rear and the dealer head mechanic agreed too. Only thng back there left to check is the diff and axle bearings I think.

Maybe you just threw a tire weight

· Banned
879 Posts
Usually vibs with load is related to a bad joint or angles...

Is this a 2pc shaft or single, when you had them look at the shaft if it was a 2pc did you bring the entire assembly or just the back half...did you re-instal it the right way..

Trying to diagnose this online is next to impossible, trying to diagnose without tons of info is also next to impossible

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Is this a 2pc shaft or single, when you had them look at the shaft if it was a 2pc did you bring the entire assembly or just the back half...did you re-instal it the right way..

Trying to diagnose this online is next to impossible, trying to diagnose without tons of info is also next to impossible
I understand it's tough to diagnois over the Internet. I was hoping someone might have had a similar issue, which is the case.

To answer you questions: One piece driveshaft; rear. Took it out and brought it to a shop that does 4wheel trucks and Jeeps. They seemed to know driveshafts. But looking at your name- you would know driveshafts best. They said both joints are good and sent me home. While the drive shaft was out I drove the truck up to speed (70+) and the vibe was still present.

Front driveshaft is two piece. That one is a bear to get out. So I'm done trying to narrow it down with my travel tool box which lacks the tools I need to go further

Im out of town so I'll bring it to the dealership when I get back.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

What is the proper way to reinstall the driveshaft?

I just lined up the bolts in the exact same location they were in on the yoke and cross-tightened them.

· Retired Old Fart!
10,495 Posts
You noted this vibe started after a wheel hop session.
Other things to check-
Rotate wheels see if it moves (might even want to have a tire shop spin balance them)
While you have the wheels off, spin the axles and feel for any growling of the axle bearings. You would feel it with your bare hands while spinning.
Inspect suspension components. You could have jarred something loose or busted a shock mount or something else related.
Wheel hop in the sand rattles the entire truck. And your teeth loose.:shock:

· Registered
121 Posts
Similar situation, different truck. My dad has an 06' 5.9 2500 auto and his has had a similar vibration for a while, but his vibrated going down the highway but kind of got barely noticeable when he got completely off the throttle.
His has been in the shop a total of about three months dealing with it.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check all the suspension and front axle bearings and rears too. This sucks. It's just too damn long and heavy of a truck to not have aired down to 20psi. I am beyond upset at myself for being so dumb. I had my Jeep there to but my hitch wouldn't fit in the Jeeps receiver, so I used the dodge. Probably put 10,000 miles of wear on the drivetrain in those 10 miles on the beach dropping the girlfriends jetski in.

· Registered
318 Posts
Hi
I just have questions. You said you checked the front driveshaft, but didn't say you removed it and roadtested like you did with the rear?

If you do and the vibration is still there the issue is getting away from the powertrain and components in the centerline of the truck.

Also what happens in neutral at max vibration ?

It's a bit unclear if they diagnosed a tire and/or did they actually roadforce balance the wheels?

Extended warranty may not cover extensive vibration evaluations like 3/36 basic warranty.

Cheapest/easiest next diagnostic step, swap tires & wheels with another known good truck.

Charlie

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The dealer road force balanced all the tires and one was way off. Had that one warrantied- but the problem is not corrected.

I had my winter tires on, had them rotated and balanced and the vibe stayed. Put on the summer stock tired and wheels and those got rebalanced and rotated too, but the problem stayed too. So its beyond a tire issue unless each time I had the separate two sets balanced and rotated (twice) they didn't do it right but the issue remained and stayed in the rear! (could happen in my world)

Will remove the front driveshaft and road test when I get home.

I sure hope the extended warranty is going to cover the repairs. I have it narrowed down and once I pull the front driveshaft that will really narrow it down to issues that the dealer can test on the rack maybe.

· Premium Member
75 Posts
well, from the way you describe the vibration, it is very possible that you twisted a u-joint or the front driveshaft. I say this because I was under my dually changing oil yesterday and to say the least I'm not impressed with the front driveline. It looks like something out of a half-ton gasser. You would think that with as much torque as these things put out they would have at minimum 1350 spicer joints in the front, and 1410s in the rear.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed

I can't wait to get the front driveshaft out and go for a road test. The rear driveshaft was taken in and given the ok by a shop. I can bring both in to a driveshaft builder and get a pros opinion in a week!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and contributions

· Registered
9 Posts
vibration

I have a vibration at 90mph feels like the truck is buzzing. A good friend of mine that repairs driveshafts said that was more than likely the problem. This is due to the fact my truck has that one piece aluminum shaft and it doesnt like heat from the exhaust. He said he could balance it and alot of times he uses heat, because the shaft is so thin to make corrections. When i get it done i will let you know.:shock:

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a vibration at 90mph feels like the truck is buzzing. A good friend of mine that repairs driveshafts said that was more than likely the problem. This is due to the fact my truck has that one piece aluminum shaft and it doesnt like heat from the exhaust. He said he could balance it and alot of times he uses heat, because the shaft is so thin to make corrections. When i get it done i will let you know.:shock:

Much appreciated.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Finally got home and have been able to get to my prefered dealership! Went for a test drive with the head diesel tech and he thinks that torque converter is cause the vibe at 70+. After explaining all the symptoms and what does and does not affect it, that is his decision. They are going to do a little more testing and get back to me. He said that there was a bad batch of converters where they delaminated- I'm not exactly sure what that means in greater detail.

· Registered
209 Posts
What is the proper way to reinstall the driveshaft?

I just lined up the bolts in the exact same location they were in on the yoke and cross-tightened them.
What he is talking about more than likely is, the two piece shaft WILL go on backwards, but it will destroy the u joints and cause a hell of a vibration because the slipyoke? is on the worng side. I have seen this first hand.

· Registered
48 Posts
That would be great if this can be traced to the TC. I hope the solve this for you, since mines doing the same thing.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The head diesel tech just ordered a new torque converter for the truck. I'll update you when it's in. Hopefully that's it- I trust this guy, he's good and knew after we went for a test drive what it was right away.

· Registered
768 Posts
What he is talking about more than likely is, the two piece shaft WILL go on backwards, but it will destroy the u joints and cause a hell of a vibration because the slipyoke? is on the worng side. I have seen this first hand.
I was told that you could not put the rear 2 piece shaft in backwards cause there is a special spline and it will only go in one way!

Don't know, maybe I was given wrong info!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.