Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this vibration in my truck that seems to start right about 65 and is there to stay all the way up to 80 or so, which i dont get up to very much, and what is happening is i can feel it almost like a surge in the seat and in the steering wheel, but the thing is it only happens while accelerating, if i take it up to 80 and let off the gas pedal it coasts free and smooth but once you get back on it it comes right back, the only other thing i can add is that it is worse when I'm towing my 21 foot boat which is 3500 lbs loaded, the ball joints on the truck are new and the front end is tight, all the u joints are tight in the front, this past week i have replaced the driveshaft with a brand new dealer 1 piece aluminum with new yoke and flange plate, with spicer 1480 joints, and balanced my tires and even swapped out for my other set of tires to see if there was a change and it didn't help, any help is appreciated

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9 QCLB G56 4x4 118,000 miles, K&N Intake, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, EFI Live,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i forgot to mention i did remove the front drive shaft and it made no diffrence, when i go to leave work i am going to put it in 4x4 to see if it makes a difference

·
VP Moderator
12,068 Posts
That speed range is almost exclusive for tire issues. Even 4 sets of tires no fix many times. A Radial Force balance frequently helps.

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
Try moving the front to the rear and note any differences that you may feel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had this issue too and it frustrated me to no end for nearly two years! I did everything you've done, minus an entire driveshaft...U-Joints front and rear and on the front axles....It turned out to be the U-Bolts over my rearend....and believe me, that was a last ditch effort before I sold the truck...and on whim a buddy happened to spit-ball sitting around the fire with a beer...

The factory ones were snug, but not tight...and it didn't seem to matter what I did to tighten them, they seemed to stretch for some reason....I'd tighten them and the problem would go away for a few days...then come back suddenly....put a ratchet on them and sure enough...not tight....I bought a new set from Dodge and I haven't had the issue in nearly 80,000 miles...just a thought.

Semper Fi,

Gunner

·
Registered
761 Posts
Had the same problem mine turned out to be my tires I had the cheap thunderer MT tires on had them balanced several times finally bought some toyo MTs and problem went away

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
When did this vibration start? Its not your tires and its not your u bolts because it only happens under acceleration and i doubt axel wrap or anything else from loose u bolts would happen only at certain speeds.
I dare say if it isnt your injectors or motor mounts its your aluminum drive shaft. I dont have vibration issues and i have the stock two piece. I get vibration issues with injectors, motor mounts and carrier bearing. I doubt your front axle ujoints are worn. Mine were still good well past 250k miles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ever figure it out? I have the same issue. Vibration very noticeable around 60-75 and only under acceleration. Started out of nowhere. Ujoints seem fine and I removed the front driveshaft as well!

·
Trying to learn
5,874 Posts
The guy that started this was last here 2 days after he posted.
This has been talked about lately, look through a couple of pages of threads, and see what info you can find.
Most everything I remember is in this thread.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have it but 70-80 only. Never figured it out.

One piece DS, no change.
New front shaft, no change.
New wheels and tires, no change.
Front end is new, no change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts