Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone use a waste-gate with a VGT turbo? I like the tune I have with my mini maxx, but the turbo hits 35 psi real quick and the tuner throttles down.

It's to my understanding the turbo is "pushing hot air" at 35. Can it go higher, safely?

·
Registered
897 Posts
GDP has a wastegate kit as well as Back Ops. There are several posts about them here in the Forum. Use the search button. I am probably going with the GDP in the near future after reading the posts..Good Luck....

·
Registered
70 Posts
What are you trying to gate and for what purpose?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to control my boost so the mini maxx can be happy.

I don't have the factory manifold, so those kits wont work.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The tuner shouldn't throttle down unless you have defuels set? I'm not understanding the throttle down thing? Is this particular to 3rd gens

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the defuel parameters are met, the tuner throttles down the truck. Now that i'm thinking of it, the tuner actually lowers the power level.

Either way, it's annoying. I want to run my truck hard without cooking the turbo.

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
Easy fix and very cheap! Turn the tuner down so that you don't build 35psi. Your motor will thank you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the street, yes. On the track, I like the extra horse power.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have the GDP one on my truck. Works well and is made well, won't let the boost go over 35 psi on any power level. I have a 4th gen, however and MCC wasn't really around when I got it. Now, and a suggestion to you, I would just get a custom tune. Unless you want to spend the money and see if you can push the power higher out of a stock turbo.. or if you want it for peace of mind..

·
Registered
890 Posts
The 6.7 turbo spools very well however it has very high drive pressure. At 35 pounds of boost it is way past its safe levels and blowing more hot air then any thing. Drive pressure is probably close to 90 pounds at that point which is killing the life expectancy of the turbo as well as endangering the head gasket.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The 6.7 turbo spools very well however it has very high drive pressure. At 35 pounds of boost it is way past its safe levels and blowing more hot air then any thing. Drive pressure is probably close to 90 pounds at that point which is killing the life expectancy of the turbo as well as endangering the head gasket.
Would using an external gate not relieve said drive pressure?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I blew my headgasket with the GDP Progate set for 30psi max boost.

Personnaly if go with studs and replace that Turbo if you want more power.

Nothing against GDPs Progate it is awesome and works everytime.

Even at 30psi boost, I was seeing 55drive.

My SuperBSpecial is 1:1 up to about 38-40 psi.
It tows well for me.

If I could go back in time. I would have studded the engine as soon as I could.

Reactions: imkindofabigdeal

·
Registered
148 Posts
I blew my headgasket with the GDP Progate set for 30psi max boost.

Personnaly if go with studs and replace that Turbo if you want more power.

Nothing against GDPs Progate it is awesome and works everytime.

Even at 30psi boost, I was seeing 55drive.
30psi to 55psi seems reasonable.... What would the difference between the stocker and any other turbo with those ratios be?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Progate gets your boost in check.

Possibly if I set the boost max 25psi it would have gotten my drive a lot closer to 1:1

·
Registered
778 Posts
For the street, yes. On the track, I like the extra horse power.
Either pony up for custom tuning or pony up for some head studs if you want to run the high tunes with box tuning.

I never saw more than 55psi of drive pressure when my defuel was set at 36psi. 90 psi is a large over exaggeration. If you saw anywhere near 90psi, your turbo has issues and you should look into a non vgt to rectify that.

·
Registered
890 Posts
running 34psi peak boost right now on the big tunes and only about 30 pounds on my daily driving tune. I don't have a Drive pressure gauge but I have heard of guys seeing over 70psi drive pressure at 34psi. Any time your drive pressure is higher then 1.5 times your boos pressure its high IMOP. At 36 pounds your pushing that turbo pretty hard but some guys have better luck the others and as said above tuning does have a effect on driver pressure. A damn good tuner that knows what he is doing makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
778 Posts
At a 1:1.5 (boost to BP) that sounds about right, 36psi of boost is 54psi of drive pressure. Even though I have studs I always kept an eye on my DP because I was running H&S "Hot Damn", and then the updated "performance" tune. Those readings were from the stock sensors, so that's all I had to go off of. I have since swapped out my VGT and gone with EFI-Live.

As you said and others, I agree completely that tuning is the key! :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts