Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at replacing the stock vgt turbo on my 2010 Cummins for a drop in replacement.
the truck is just tuned and deleted,and has a intake and exhaust
Eventually will put arp studs and a set of 50 or 90hp injectors in

fleece vgt 63 turbo

bd screamer 64.5 Vgt turbo

Tater built 63.5/68 vgt turbo

looking for recommendations and experiences with these turbos, if you have any other recommendations or advice please let me know

thank you!

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
I know this is not what your asking but now is a good time to step away from the VGT and rid 98% chance of a turbo operational issue.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I wouldn't even think about another vgt, especially since it's already deleted and tuned. I used a BD sxe fixed vane kit and it's better than the vgt in every way. And there's plenty of other choice. You have about two weeks of reading ahead of you! Craig

Reactions: N of 60

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know most people get rid of them, i tow weekly from anywhere from light to heavy and love the exhaust break for towing, and it’s nice for warming the truck up in winter. Also Don’t really have plans for crazy horsepower.

can someone educate me on a fixed vane turbo?

·
Registered
948 Posts
You'll still have a problematic actuator and vanes to crap out on any vgt you put on and from what I've read the modifed ones are still more restrictive... higher egt and drive pressure. My BD sxe 363, on the small side for my altitude, and BD inline ebrake kits were $2619 in July 2017 and I don't think they have gone up much. Even my small turbo literally blow away the vgt in every way... more responsive, broader power band and GREAT top end. Drive pressure and egt went WAY down and I set the exh. valves to the, tighter, 5.9 specs. The BD ebrake even works much better. The turbo kit also comes with a larger two piece ex. manifold. I did all the work and it was a win, win, win, win, deal on all counts... just needs the tuning tweaked for the new stuff. Craig

Reactions: N of 60

·
Registered
171 Posts
Try Turbo Time Performance (www.turbotimeusa.com). They have a range of drop-in VGT turbos for towing or top-end power.

I finally had the chance to drive a customer's truck with one of their turbos (a 2011 dually with their 64mm towing turbo) and it really hauled ass! I was most impressed with the low end pull it has. Non-deleted either and the owner put around 30K miles hotshotting. Compared to a truck I rode in with an S364 turbo (3rd gen 6.7 with tuning), this turbo had more low end pull for sure.

Of course with VGTs the issue is reliability. I can't speak to the longevity of these VGTs, but I believe all their VGTs are optioned with brand new actuators. I was about to order a turbo from them about 2 months ago, but decided to wait in case they update the design as they did with their stage 1 turbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts