Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their head unit and still managed to keep the VES functional? im about to do 7" touch screen, but am trying to find ways to keep the VES.

What I was thinking was to run a set of RCA from the AV out of the new headunit to the rear monitor and tap into the RCA jack thats at the monitor, but do the splice in the ceiling. then find what wire is power and tap into it from vehicle power to turn it on. not sure if this will work, but its a start.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
What is the VES? I'm guessing thats the steering wheel controls? not sure how they did it but on my girlfriends Exploder a Eclipse touch screen nav system was installed and a new steering column with wheel controls was installed to control it.. it all works except for not being able to turn it down at the wheel

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, I have power and ground up there currently through the factory harness. I am going to see if I can get a harness that creates a IR signal for wireless headphones, or run RCA cables up there. i am sooo lost with wires right now, as I am half way throuhg my DVD nav install with steering wheel module, pac harness, Reverse cam, ipod and sirius. Hopefully get it all finished tommorow..

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
What is the VES? I'm guessing thats the steering wheel controls? not sure how they did it but on my girlfriends Exploder a Eclipse touch screen nav system was installed and a new steering column with wheel controls was installed to control it.. it all works except for not being able to turn it down at the wheel
VES---Video Entertainment System

Retaining steering wheel controls for aftermarket head units is accomplished with a Steering Wheel Interface jack or SWIjack from PACAudio.:thumbsup:

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,142 Posts
Done yet Matt? You must have fell asleep installing the deck because you quit texting me. :lol3:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done yet Matt? You must have fell asleep installing the deck because you quit texting me. :lol3:

i didnt touch it last night.. just trying to soak up as much info as I could.. I have it figured now!! cross fingers.

Ill jump back on it around lunch today

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
yea, I have power and ground up there currently through the factory harness. I am going to see if I can get a harness that creates a IR signal for wireless headphones, or run RCA cables up there. i am sooo lost with wires right now, as I am half way throuhg my DVD nav install with steering wheel module, pac harness, Reverse cam, ipod and sirius. Hopefully get it all finished tommorow..
Are you sure you have power up there? i thought the power was supplied by the factory Head unit. Ill drop mine and plug it back in later and see if Ive got juice. im working on the same problem you are. pioneer head, factory VES

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i had the head unit unplugged, and there is a piggyback off the main harness that gas the grey and red wire, which is the power wire for the head unit and the ves, so plugged in or not it still has power up to the VES, according to my test light. which means the VES should still work, since its a stand alone unit, the only issue is the sound, so today im going to try some IR wireless headphones and see if they still work, if they do im in business with no additional wiring

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I just went out and dropped mine and plugged it back in (had it unplugged due to an ipod adapter install). You do have power and ground up there and it seems that the VES will work perfectly fine as a self contained system with the wireless headphones. Mine doesnt read discs but I plugged a portable DVD player into the RCA jacks on the back of the unit and it worked fine, along with sound through the headphones. When I was doing the ipod adapter install, PAC tech support sent me a email containing instructions on how to keep the VES working at the same time as the ipod adapter. they consisted of cutting 2 wires behind the dash and soldering RCA ends onto them. if you did that you could plug those into the auxiliary input of your nav unit and have sound from the VES through the stereo. im perfectly content to have the headphones working for the kids, although it would be nice if the VES read discs

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, i tried mine out tonight after everything was installed, popped a disc in the VES and sure enough sound poured out the head phones!! im stoked it works... down the road i can look into cutting those wires and soldering RCA, but for now all is well!! the new system rocks.. got to finally hear my subs I installed

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,142 Posts
Yea, i tried mine out tonight after everything was installed, popped a disc in the VES and sure enough sound poured out the head phones!! im stoked it works... down the road i can look into cutting those wires and soldering RCA, but for now all is well!! the new system rocks.. got to finally hear my subs I installed
Lucky! I want that deck! :party018:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sweet. I thought i was gonna have to run power and ground up there. kinda stoked I could just plug it in. Would be even more stoked if it played discs LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I ran into this problem with my truck and the company I bought the harness from says my rear VES would work with it and it doesn't. Ves won’t even power on so Im wondering what you tapped into to get it to work. I already have wireless head sets for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts