Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

very upset with my valair clutch

4251 47
Never really had a problem with my clutch once I put the new valair 450hp in until tonight:hateit: Today I was going to the river and just recently put a bd super b turbo in. My buddies who were with me said lets feel that new turbo, so I started power breaking 2nd, then 3rd, then to my amazement 4th!!!:hyper::hyper:. My 3 friends in the truck were speechless. about 5 hours later another 5 speed cummins friend said I couldnt do it and he didnt believe me... As I start to burn out and show him, the clutch spun instantly when I grabbed 3rd, he started busting up laughing and I felt pretty stupid. I dont mean to bash valair, but did I get a bad clutch? now it slips whenever I lay into it in 5th noticably. What should I do. Ill have a video up soon of the clutch slipping for the very first time. Im so ready to throw this baby into the trash. Im making way under 450 horse for sure, is a guy not suppost to power break his ol' tires? I hope dan sees this and talks to me about it.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Nothing like beating the sh!t out of a good clutch. 35's, with probably 3:55 gears, you're just asking to smoke the poor clutch.

What valair is it anyhow ? Stock replacement ?

· Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Have you spoke with Dan or Kevin at Valair yet? Maybe that would be the first step in getting this issue resolved. Most would call the dealer or the Manufacture with an issue first before calling someone out on the forums. Give Dan a call and see what he has to say about the issue and i will also forward this to him.

John

· Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nothing like beating the sh!t out of a good clutch. 35's, with probably 3:55 gears, Theyre old 35's. and yeah it has 355 gears. its a feramic/ceramic I am almost positive. I-6DZL, you cant tell me you have never done a good burnout once the rubber is getting a little low can ya? plus, im 18, I gotta cause trouble somehow, Still cheaper than being one of those low life druggies addicted to cocane so I hear!!!

· Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you spoke with Dan or Kevin at Valair yet? Maybe that would be the first step in getting this issue resolved. Most would call the dealer or the Manufacture with an issue first before calling someone out on the forums. Give Dan a call and see what he has to say about the issue and i will also forward this to him.

John
Didnt mean to talk anybody down, Just was pretty upset. I kinda posted this for dan to see and talk to me on here. Sorry if I offended anybody:thud:

· Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Its all good:beer. If there is an issue with this clutch i know for a fact that Dan will make it right. I have been selling his clutches for a long time know and he takes care of what is right. If you abuse anyone's single disc or DD for that matter you can break anyone's. If you want to do what you are doing with that clutch maybe you should look into a DD that can handle some more abuse. Like i tell all my clutch customers match the clutch to what you will be doing to it and buy it once. if you want to hammer on it and drop it and smoke the tires off of that truck, do boosted 3rd or 4th gear launches or sled pull with it a single disc of any type wont hold up for long.

John:thumbsup

· Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its all good:beer. If there is an issue with this clutch i know for a fact that Dan will make it right. I have been selling his clutches for a long time know and he takes care of what is right. If you abuse anyone's single disc or DD for that matter you can break anyone's. If you want to do what you are doing with that clutch maybe you should look into a DD that can handle some more abuse. Like i tell all my clutch customers match the clutch to what you will be doing to it and buy it once. if you want to hammer on it and drop it and smoke the tires off of that truck, do boosted 3rd or 4th gear launches or sled pull with it a single disc of any type wont hold up for long.

John:thumbsup
Good quote right there! I should just invest in a dd. Not sure what my plans are for this truck though, seems im going to Oregon State University for Engineering this september. man, talk about:$::$:

· Registered
9 Posts
clutch

why would you be upset with your clutch it was perfect until you had the brainfart and decided to tear it out of your truck you should have more respect for it its rated for 450 hp how many horses do you think it takes to turn 35" tires in 3rd and 4th gears i've had a 450 hp rated clutch in my truck for 3 yrs and its as good today as the day i put it in so don't blame the clutch it was the nut behind the wheel that got loose and gave you the trouble

· Registered
472 Posts
why would you be upset with your clutch it was perfect until you had the brainfart and decided to tear it out of your truck you should have more respect for it its rated for 450 hp how many horses do you think it takes to turn 35" tires in 3rd and 4th gears i've had a 450 hp rated clutch in my truck for 3 yrs and its as good today as the day i put it in so don't blame the clutch it was the nut behind the wheel that got loose and gave you the trouble
:thumbsup:lol3::thumbsup:lol3::thumbsup

· Registered
1,550 Posts
I would definitly contact Dan and go from there. He will definitly take care of ya but ya gotta contact him to do so!!

· Premium Member
3,826 Posts
Never really had a problem with my clutch once I put the new valair 450hp in until tonight:hateit: Today I was going to the river and just recently put a bd super b turbo in. My buddies who were with me said lets feel that new turbo, so I started power breaking 2nd, then 3rd, then to my amazement 4th!!!:hyper::hyper:. My 3 friends in the truck were speechless. about 5 hours later another 5 speed cummins friend said I couldnt do it and he didnt believe me... As I start to burn out and show him, the clutch spun instantly when I grabbed 3rd, he started busting up laughing and I felt pretty stupid. I dont mean to bash valair, but did I get a bad clutch? now it slips whenever I lay into it in 5th noticably. What should I do. Ill have a video up soon of the clutch slipping for the very first time. Im so ready to throw this baby into the trash. Im making way under 450 horse for sure, is a guy not suppost to power break his ol' tires? I hope dan sees this and talks to me about it.

Wow, i guess as long as your under the HP rating it doesnt matter what you do to it, I'd just like to say that give me any clutch you like, and throw me your keys and i will bring it back in 5 minutes destroyed. regardless of who's it is or what the rating is. When you bought your clutch did you discuss your driving habits with the distributor, we dont recommend that clutch for some one launching or 18 years old, we recommend it as a towing clutch desinged for smoothness, some aggressive driving ok, you probably overheated the clutch and desintigrated the facings. Do you feel that it was an error in workmanship or material defect. I don't. But hey i'm only 47 and only been in the clutch business for 31 years.

· Registered
345 Posts
Dan you crack me up :rof:rof. By the way that prototype clutch in my bro's srt is wicked man. I wonder if the clutch was even broke in properly. But nothing will top that front wheel drive performance throwing blanes old clutch you sent in and sticking it straight on a load dyno can you say idiots:kill:. But seriously we havent had any issues with any of dans clutches at all and we have nearly 50 or so out their 0 issues. Like he said though that clutch you have is a towing style that definetly is not for the 18 year old stoplight to stoplight racer.:peelout

· SC Chapter President
938 Posts
I too have had no issues with my clutch, the multi gear burn outs prob weren't the best idea but like I have always heard, to be old and wise you have to first be young and stupid, and I myself are a victim of that creed:SMART:

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Nothing like beating the sh!t out of a good clutch. 35's, with probably 3:55 gears, Theyre old 35's. and yeah it has 355 gears. its a feramic/ceramic I am almost positive. I-6DZL, you cant tell me you have never done a good burnout once the rubber is getting a little low can ya? plus, im 18, I gotta cause trouble somehow, Still cheaper than being one of those low life druggies addicted to cocane so I hear!!!
Hell yea i've done a sweet burnout but i knew the risk i was taking. I definately knew i would NOT get on a public forum and make a disgracing post such as yours, to a clutch manufacturer being it valair, or south bend.

I too have had no issues with my clutch, the multi gear burn outs prob weren't the best idea but like I have always heard, to be old and wise you have to first be young and stupid, and I myself are a victim of that creed:SMART:
As i agree hands down, you cannot disrespect a truck that commands respect. What's next, he'll wrap the damn thing around a tree?? We sure hope not!!!

The video show's way too much stupidity in that burn out. Start straight and continue to go straight, there was too many objects around to be acting in that manner.

Now that i've said my peace, i apologize if i offend anyone. Now the poster should be man enough to apologize to valair.:woot:

· Registered
2,331 Posts

Yep, done that with my king cobra in my tko tranny. Not even 400 miles on the clutch and burnt it so bad on a burn out that i couldnt even get out of first gear. But then i bought a centerforce dual friction and did it again after another 400 miles. Kids never learn. I was 18 years old at the time. Crap, im 27 now and still would do it. I cant believe i never even spun the tires in my truck!!! Guess im getting wizer or lamer!!! lol:thumbsup

Either way, it happens to the best of us!!:beer

· Mark Ward
823 Posts
Wonder about break in? But i dont care what clutch you have its definatly not good idea to do 4th gear burnouts:thud:

Im an auto and dont even like it going into second.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.