Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got My head milled, valvs lapped and o-rings. I used the Thicker Marine gasket and Was told to adjust intake valves to .010 and exhaust .020. The order that i followed was at TDC, 1,2,4 intake and 1,3,5 exhause, rotate 360 degrees then 3,5,6 intake 2,4,6 exhaust. Anyone done them different?? Also threw in a New VP and a Fuel pres gauge. The truck started okay but runs like crap. Havnt even drived it. Had a hard time getting it out of the garage. Its making a "fluffing" sounds like i'm running it w/o one of the boots on the intercooler, or one of the fuel lines is disconnected. EVERYTHING is tight and sealed. I'm thinking an injector or one of the valves. Anyone had problems before?

on a side note, The #1 intake valve before adjustment was at .049". Its supposed to be at .010 and the truck ran fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
ya sure you had it at #1 top dead center before you started adjusting valves?

·
Registered
21 Posts
the important thing is 1 has to be at TDC on compression and NOT valve overlap 1 and 6 are companion cylinders so watch what both are doing on the rockers to make sure you've got them on the right stroke :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone, Within 1 minute literally after this post, Richard had called me and helped out alot. I adjusted them 4x's still crappy. Then I remembered once he told me if you crack loose a line and the idle does not change, theres an injector problem...... all changed the idle but #1. I pulled it out and turns out there was no washer on the nozzle. Thanks for yalls help and Thanks alot for jumping on the ball Richard. Coaltrain is my first call.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts