Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

VE Pump is a total DOG

5026 44
Hi, i just turned up my pump up a couple weeks ago. smoke screw 2 turns, fuel pin 90 degrees, and star wheel 7/8 turn. i was expecting alot more power and smoke but i got hardly any power difference and there is no smoke at all. did i do something wrong or is my pump just one of the weak ones? by the way, the max boost i have seen is about 9 psi and havent seen egts go above 1000 on a steep grade WOT in 5th. future plans include a Denny T stage 2 pin.

Thanks
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,819 Posts
Sounds like you you have it just perfect if there is no smoke!

Reactions: thechoochlyman

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess but im on the younger side so i like smoke. doesnt that boost number sound low?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes ur boost levels are low. Id try backing the smoke screw off a turn and put a turn on the star wheel. im hiting 25psi. all ive found the smoke screw is good for is chit millage.:thumbsup:

just seen in ur sig that say ur star wheel is bottemed out? And did you make sure that you got both washer on the boost tube and the bolts tight?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill back off of the smoke screw but i cant turn the star wheel any more. i only put 7/8 turn on it and i cant turn it any more which seems weird. thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
i guess but im on the younger side so i like smoke.
Smoke = wasted fuel and does nothing but piss of the Al Gore disciples. Well that maybe worth it :rof:buttkick:

doesnt that boost number sound low?
Yes that number is low, I don’t have a gauge on my truck yet (This weekend) but my brothers D350 hits 28 to 30 psi easily

Reactions: thechoochlyman

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Crew
718 Posts
check all your intercooler tubes to make sure all the silicone boots are tight to start. As far as it being a dog. Did you touch the "full power screw" ? You can turn anything you want but until that is advanced youll never make power.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i bet 12psi is normal for an intercooled truck with those mods... honestly you havent done anything that would change the trucks overall fueling besides the small fuel cone difference.. you basically changed how quickly max fueling will be applied.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Jbrads right, The fun don't start til you turn the fuel screw on the back side of the pump.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright. im just iffy on the power screw when it comes to runaway. can the screw be advanced while the engine is running? should i just do 1/2 turn then snap the throttle at a time? thanks

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Yes but take the intake off so you can slap a board over the turbo if it run's away.

·
Registered
101 Posts
yup the smoke screw doesn't do much for preformance, as pulltillbroke said, the power screw is what really makes the difference

·
Sweatin to the oldies
3,323 Posts
check all your intercooler tubes to make sure all the silicone boots are tight to start. As far as it being a dog. Did you touch the "full power screw" ? You can turn anything you want but until that is advanced youll never make power.
Or, if you DO want smoke, just remove all the intercooler tubes.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
everybody is right, make shure your throttle is pulling your pump all the way open, you mite need to move the linkage to the inside hole, back out the throttle stop screw, 2x6 is what you use to kill the air in the event of a runaway, it's not that bad if your ready for it.

do these things and let us know what your boost numbers are then.

Dar

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alright, thanks for all the help guys. ill try to do the screw this weekend maybe and ill get back to you

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Crew
718 Posts
you also have to first take the screw all the way out and take the "collar" off it with pliars. A good hint would be to mark with a magic marker the location of where the collar was to use as a reference to know how far to turn the screw in.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok...can the engine be running while the fuel screw is being turned?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.