Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
No the guy still has it and is not responding to me, so I'm just going to have show up and get it wether it's ready or not. This is the first time I have ever taken anything to a "mechanic", and the last time

·
Registered
368 Posts
So your seal was physically blowing out of the housing? Mine just seems to be wearing out extremely fast
Yes, it would push it out and look as if you just placed the seal over the shaft but had not seated it yet with a hammer and socket.

http://imgur.com/1Bosk78

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Did you ever get your IP back and the truck running?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
No, I picked the pump up from the pile of excrement and like I thought, he hadn't touched it, he said the parts were on order bla bla bla. I have a new seal, just haven't had the motivation. Thanks for checking in

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Okay I put the new Bosch seal in, and put the pump back on the truck yesterday. It did good yesterday, today it is back to leaking. This ragged truck is going to be someone else's problem now

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
What did the pump shop say about the shaft? Where you live?

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Okay I put the new Bosch seal in, and put the pump back on the truck yesterday. It did good yesterday, today it is back to leaking. This ragged truck is going to be someone else's problem now
Just find a different pump or pay to have it professionally rebuilt.... or option number 3 just p pump swap it ;) but if your anywhere close to Oregon I’d gladly take the pile off your hands

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I don't even think he looked at it. Windsor, VA. I finally talked to local diesel shop that sounded like he had some knowledge on these pumps so it looks like it is coming off again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The only reason I haven't done any of those 3 options is because I'm stubborn and want to find the problem lol. If you would've been close to VA on the day it leaked, I would have given it to you with one request...tell me what you did to fix it

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Could it be any of the other o-rings inside the pump? Possibly another full rebuild kit.......maybe with that kit a new shaft.
No other o-rings could leak fuel into the crankcase but if the shaft is too worn (unlikely) or it has a nick from seal installations that could be the culprit but he’s actually pushing the front seal out of the pump. That’s a symptom of too high fuel psi usually.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The seal is not pushing out, it is leaking at the lip seal apparently. The shaft looks brand new with no play, that is what has me so confused.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
The seal is not pushing out, it is leaking at the lip seal apparently. The shaft looks brand new with no play, that is what has me so confused.
Then it could be damaged seal surface on the shaft even a small scratch? or improper installation process. Sorry I thought you said it was pushing seals earlier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
No srcatches from what I can tell, it looks brand new. I installed them with a proper size deep well socket and a mallet, they all went in flush. I did loctite this last one to make sure it wasn't leaking around the outside of the seal. The guy I'm taking it to now says he run a bench test, so that's a plus.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I finally got the pump back on the truck a few days ago, and so far so good. It cost me a thousand bucks for the rebuild, and the guy said he couldn't find anything that would have caused the seal to keep leaking, so who knows. For not finding a problem, he did manage to rack up a fivehundred dollar part list lol

41 - 56 of 56 Posts