Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Dodge 3500; 12valve; 130k miles; NV5600 six-speed; #0 fuel plate; 5" axle dump; zero rust
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put head studs should I go with bigger valve springs while I'm at it, or can you put new ones even with the head on the truck. I know it may sound dumb but when you loosen the head bolt that holds the rocker arm pedalstool wouldn't that mess up the head gasket. I'm only 15 so I'm just learning about all this. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you need to upgrade springs, the ideal time to do it would be when you have it apart doing studs. What do you have planned for the truck that will require upgraded springs?

The head gasket seals the head to the block. When you replace one head bolt at a time, the other bolts keep the head and block firmly clamped together.

·
Registered
1998 Dodge 3500; 12valve; 130k miles; NV5600 six-speed; #0 fuel plate; 5" axle dump; zero rust
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm planning on 4k gov. springs, and I heard that I would need to upgrade the valve springs if I do that.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Being 15, the best way to navigate this forum with the best assistance from anyone here, would be to learn all you can about your truck before you ask any questions. Do your own research on your questions before you post it here, because I can almost guarantee, it’s been answered before. There is a whole bunch of good information to get you started in the “Beginner’s” stickie. Start there and then literally use Google.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yes, valves float somewhere north of 3200 rpm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts