Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone i was just wondering if the valve springs have to be change to 60lb when istalling the 4k gov kit

·
Registered
77 Posts
Highly recommended!!

I would and have. By not doing it the chances you will float a valve is highly likely.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
if you dont rev past 4k you dont neccesarily need um, say if you wanted to wait to the pull the valves or moneys tight just keep an eye on the skinny pedal and dont go past 4k and you'll be alright:thumbsup:

·
Horse Power JUNKIE
1,693 Posts
Whats your guys stock spring rating? I'm pretty sure the 24v are 50-60lbs, are they the same spring? Can you guys just buy 24vs stock springs as an upgrade?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I thought the valve could start to float at 3200-3500???

On that note I have the 4k in mine and have not done the valve springs but even If I had the springs I would never rev it over 3000 in my opinoin 4k is just to high to be reving a cummins that I want to last. The only time mine gets over 3000 is when the tires break lose then its 3200-3500

·
Registered
368 Posts
i just orderd a set they came with 60 pound springs the guy said even with the 60 pound springs you shouldent rev over 3200-3400 unless you put in the titanum retaners witch is like another $300

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
^^ thats true it shouldnt be reved that close to 4k, but you get the picture if you dont go over a certain rpm even with the kit in, you would be ok, but regardless get them done eventually

·
Registered
429 Posts
puredieselpower.com has a set with titanium keepers and retainers and you get 30 bucks off the valves if you buy em together. thats what i was gonna get.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I believe valve can start to float at about 3500 but i might be wrong when i did mine the guy i bought the parts from said its neeeded and my buddy whos a diesel mech said better to do that then mess it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts