Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my truck has about 95k miles on it and I bought it with about 91k. It was completely stock and seems to have been well taken care of. My use for this truck is to pull a future 25ft toyhauler on the weekends and to drive it about 12 miles a day for work.

Other then that no programmers, hot rodding or any other abuse. Im wanting to purchase a suncoast valve body for it to cure the shifting (not that there is anything wrong with how it shifts right now) and improve its life span for towing the toy hauler. So what im wondering right now is what will I gain from adding a suncoast valve body and a double deep tranny pan? Is it a good investment for a transmission that already has 90K on it? also barring any catostrophic failures of the transmission can this valve body be reused if it would need a future rebuild, at which time I would add a upgraded converter and input shafts.

I dont really want to waste money on it at this point if a valve body is unnecessary to improve the life span of the transmission at this time. Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
IMO - you would just be wasting your $$ with a VB and deep pan only.

With 95K miles on your truck, you would be better off with a trans rebuild/replace... Your clutches and seals have alot of wear by 100k...

When I investigated adding a VB and deep pan only on my trans, I was told by multiple vendors that the stock TC and 2nd gear strap/lever would not handle the increased line pressure and harsh shifts from a new VB.

Many AM VB's will also stress your stock input shaft due to the harsh shifts.

I have a deep pan (Mag-Hytec) and a gauge and am saving for a complete new trans with new flex plate, 3x billet TC and billet input shaft with the new VB...

Hope this helps,
Louis

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
ndekens,
I just did the Suncoast VB and the MagHytec DD pan on my truck last weekend. I got the "618" VB with the GM electronics (a must have), billet accumulator piston and the upgraded strap brace. Refilled with Royal Purple Max ATF. Serviced the Transfer Case with the same stuff while I was under the truck. I have a 14K # 5th wheel and desperately needed these upgrades. Despite what the previous poster states, I don't think I "wasted any money". The shifts are firmer but not harsh, and due to the increased line pressure, the TC seems to be holding better (at least for the time being! As soon as funds permit (or the TC craps out, whichever's first), I'm getting a Sun Coast TC. Yes you can use your VB when it comes time to rebuild. I don't know why the previous poster (or anyone for that matter) would leave a DD pan on the work bench and not install it. More fluid = cooler temps and longer trans life. If your TC is slipping or shot, you might want to start there. If it isn't knackerred, you might like the result of a VB upgrade. If your trans isn't healthy than the previous poster would have a valid point. Either way, Good Luck

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Do it. I have been running an HTS valvebody and a deep pan with Amsoil for 2 years now and the tranny shifts great and holds a fair amount of power above stock(see sig). I use this truck to plow and tow and it is awesome. I am at about 75,000 miles now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do it. I have been running an HTS valvebody and a deep pan with Amsoil for 2 years now and the tranny shifts great and holds a fair amount of power above stock(see sig). I use this truck to plow and tow and it is awesome. I am at about 75,000 miles now.
JDiepstra,

I had myself convinced to wait for the whole tranny...

Now you had to do this... :hehe:

Did you do it yourself? Or did you have it done? I investigated doing it myself and the LH side of the trans where the connector and linkages are is completely inaccessible by the frame rail for my stubby fingers. I could not even see it without a mirror extension...

Doing it myself is going to be approx $650 (VB and 16qts of ATF and filter). Having it done will run another $150 or so...

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
I did not do it alone... but after doing it w "my mechanic" I could have. The valvebody is above the tranny fluid pan. I am not sure what would be in the way. A valvebody should cost you $400. Visit htstransmissions.com/index.html. That's where I got mine. $250 for fluid and filter seems high.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts