Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, what were working with:
1993 D250 5.9 auto aprox 60k since rebuild. serviced regularly. Have records since it was purchased.

Next, the problem that I am having:
Noticed over the last week that it has been pretty hard to shift into reverse from neutral or drive, shifted just fine from park. I thought that I was just getting lazy on how I was shifting and just not pulling back enough. Well, last night, It wouldnt go into reverse, so, I pulled it back harder than normal and jammed it up.

Now, there is no detent hesitation when I shift (I.E. no click between gears)
Shifts between gears and runs great. Now, beings I haven't yet crawled under there and pulled the pan, I dont know if theres anything broken. What I have to reference by, is an exploded view of the transmission and valve body. Valve body one is kinda small and cant really tell what could be the problem.

My question, is has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was your fix?
Please, refrain from answering this question with the obvious, "have you checked ________?"

More info on my experiences, I have rebuilt a few TH350, TH400, 700R4's. And, quite a few Caterpillar transmissions, (Thus what I do.)so, I do know my way around a transmission or two.

Next question:
If my Valve Body is screwed (worst case scenario), I was looking at going with a BD Diesel Valve body, OR just a stock replacement with a shift kit. What I've been reading, the BD Diesel is the way to go.
One question that I have is if the BD Diesel kit comes with a new band strut. It doesnt mention that it is included in the kit, nor does it give a part #, so, by these facts, I would assume that it does, but I hate assuming.

Are there any other manufactures out there that are better?

·
Registered
68 Posts
there is a ball bearing and a spring that sets in a pocket, as the gear selector rotates the ball bearing keeps the transmission in the selected gear....the bore wears with use.... sonax makes a kit to fix the problem or you could get a valve body from any later model 727 or a 518 and just change this part of the valve body

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...Now I'm thinking that I need to pull the pan (have to wait till this weekend) Worried that I may have done some damage to either the body itself or the shaft the detent rides on.

Really appreciate the info.

Also, if anyone else is looking for this Here is the company

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.