Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
those who have done them did you have any unusual noise before you did them? seems like over the last couple of days my valves are making more noise then normal if im right with the diagnosis:confused013: any input greatly appreciated gonna try to get the valve adjustment done tonight oh and there are 120k miles on the truck thanks again

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
It colder and combustion noise greater.

Reactions: dslsmoke

·
Registered
23 Posts
Valve Adjustment

It is usually reccomended that the valves be adjusted every 100k in the 24v. Had experience with a 99' 3500, after the valves were adjusted, the valve noise decreased slightly, but not much. Those 98-02 lifters were just loud to begin with.

Reactions: dslsmoke

·
Registered
681 Posts
Go ahead and do it anyways I've heard of people gaining 1-3 mpg's after a valve adjustment. Even if you don't gain .5mpg its worth knowing that there right.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Are there any write ups on this I want to do mine but don't know what kind of lash to set and such

·
Registered
663 Posts
I adjusted my valves at about 100,000 miles. They were all within spec and I couldn't tell a difference after. Still, It was pretty easy and probably worth doing for piece of mind.

INTAKE
0.152 mm ( 0.006 in.)MIN.

0.381 mm (0.015 in.)MAX. .

EXHAUST

0.381 mm (0.015 in.) MIN.

0.762 mm (0.030 in.)MAX

According to the manual;

note:
If measured valve lash falls within these
specifications, no adjustment/reset is necessary.
Engine operation within these ranges has no
adverse affect on performance, emissions, fuel
economy or level of engine noise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Valve Adjustment there is the link from mopar1973man's website, good info. all you need to know is there.:thumbsup:

tom

·
Registered
963 Posts
Mine too , were well within specs at 120k . But i guess its peace of mind. Wonder if anybody here had their valves way out of wack?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Mine too , were well within specs at 120k . But i guess its peace of mind. Wonder if anybody here had their valves way out of wack?
i think mine are but have not had the time to check
344k miles and counting. not sure if prev owner has done it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine sound pretty out of wack but im runnin 4:10 gears and ill spin her up there pretty good. she gets worked pretty hard with towing and i drive her hard to so well see

·
Kansas Chapter VP
Big Red. 1993 W350. NV 4500. HX35.
5,402 Posts
Hey,

I adjusted mine at about 210,000 and they weren't off that far. I'm not sure if the previous owner ever did them...

You might as well check them, something could have loosened up causing more noise!!!:thumbsup:

Later,
Winslow

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well everything was within spec i was really hoping that would be the cause of the noise! i wonder if it could be injector noise hmmmmmmmmmmmm oh well back to the drwing board

·
Kansas Chapter VP
Big Red. 1993 W350. NV 4500. HX35.
5,402 Posts
Hey,

I'm going to ask this:

How use to the Cummins sound are you???:confused013:

These things rattle by nature!!:thumbsup:

Later,
Winslow

·
Registered
23 Posts
Valve Noise

If the noise that you are hearing occurs all the time, even after the engine warms up and you have had the valves adjusted, the noise you are hearing could possibly be injector chatter. In this case, the chatter is usually a good thing to have, but it only occurs when the engine is at idle speed. My 02 does not have injector chatter, but then again I am running bone stock fuel system. I had an 06 that had 80k and the injectors would chatter at idle speed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.