Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i need your help anyone have a write up on how to adjust the valves...thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not a hard job. Hardest part will be adjusting the back 2 cylinders simply because they are hard to reach. May want to do those first so the easy ones will be after the hard ones.

Here is a link to the procedure.
Ram Truck Cummins Diesel Engine Information

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on a 12 valve im sorry or is it the same?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
CumminsDatabase.com :: B Series Valve Clearance Adjustment

the easisest way to do it is take take all the valve covers off and put a socket on the alternator nut and start from the back and all you gotta do is turn the the engine with the alternator nut until the rocker arm is loose...technically said like this...when a rocker arm is not on the lift lobe of the cam, adjust the intake valves for 0.010" clearance and the exhaust valves for 0.020".

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
CumminsDatabase.com :: B Series Valve Clearance Adjustment

the easisest way to do it is take take all the valve covers off and put a socket on the alternator nut and start from the back and all you gotta do is turn the the engine with the alternator nut until the rocker arm is loose...technically said like this...when a rocker arm is not on the lift lobe of the cam, adjust the intake valves for 0.010" clearance and the exhaust valves for 0.020".
It is best to do it in the proper sequence to be 100% sure the lifter is sitting on the base circle of the cam. Just going by when its 'loose', the lifter is likely still on one of the ramps of the lobe so you may as well not even be adjusting the valves...

Just my .02 :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
It is best to do it in the proper sequence to be 100% sure the lifter is sitting on the base circle of the cam. Just going by when its 'loose', the lifter is likely still on one of the ramps of the lobe so you may as well not even be adjusting the valves...

Just my .02 :D
That is a fact.......

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok sounds good a shop wanted 500 to do it but i think i can manage...

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not a problem i probley should of said 12 valve...

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
$500!!!

Holy crap.... Buy a case of beer, do it yourself and pocket the rest of the cash and as a bonus you might have a lil buz on by the time your done!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts