Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Dodge Ram 2500 W/ Cummins Turbo Diesel

I have always wanted a cummins since I bought my halfton and my friend bought his cummins 3 months later. I have wanted a 12v since they are so much simpler to work on. I would prefer a 5spd, but I could be happy with an auto since the 5spd seems non existent on the market atleast.

Also, the miles is it time to be concerned at 200k or is it good for a few thousand miles yet.

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
You better jump on that one right away, it's not going to last long at that price.
If it was well taken care of the engine won't have any major problems for at least 200k miles and most likely longer.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wasn't worried about the motor I have 4 ag 5.9 cummins around the farm and the just run plain and simple. I figure the motor good for 600K plus. Mostly I was worrried about tranny. Just got done putting a seocnd auto in my halfton and I don't want to turn around and do it again.

Thanks for the input, if he still has it I am pretty set on getting it. The only problem will be is if it isn't 4x4 his ad doesn't say, but as far as I have ever noticed the ones that sit high are 4x4 and the low ones are 4x2. What do you know about that?

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Hard to say if it's a 4wd. It sits high like it should be but who knows, it could have been lifted. It does have air bags which could make it ride higher.

The stock auto trannies on these rigs are actually very good, until a person puts more power to it than it was designed for.
Doesn't sound like this one has any hp mods.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Sounds like its a 4x4. It says new ujoints in the front end. Id jump on it. Buddy just sold his 96 4x4 eclb for 10k

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am afraid it is to good of deal and is already gone. I called him at noon and havn't heard back yet. Good catch on the u-joints, I read that but didn't put 2 and 2 together. I will definatly be buying it when I get the Ok form my dad, and it checks out ok which shouldn't be to hard. I should get about 5 for mine and I havn't got my end of the year bonus yet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Cheap..... Im gonna buy it you better hurry..

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Cheap..... Im gonna buy it you better hurry..
If that is a serious statment good luck. I havn't been able to get ahold of him.

One thing I was wondering about is the tire cupping. Could be as simple as a tie rod, or are the ball joints or something getting bad?

Well it sounds good on my end, dad didn't say no or yes, but he did say he didn't want to deal with anybody, I would have to do it all.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just noticed bulldog that you are from my neck of the woods, I live northwest of you in parker

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Live and grew up in alcester. I work in tea. Think we have a aau wrestling tourny in parker this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
same here growing up in parker, I believe your right on the tourny to. I wont be there though, hopefully at minimum going to look at a parts dodge, hopefully i can get a hold of this guy and head up there this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well finally got ahold of him. He still has it and suprisingly not alot of interest in it. Both towing mirrors have the glass broke out but the ones off my 96 should go right. He claims they fell out and since the outer plastic isnt broke I could believe it. He had the tranny checked out and he says the shop said it was good yet. What do these autos usually run before its time to do one. Assuming stock. He hasn't done anything about the killer dowel since he bought it with around 150k on it. So I better get this checked out right away. It does have a fuel plate in it. What it is and how much it adds I dont know. It was in there when he got it.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well got up there and checked it out. It actually looked nicer then I was expecting after talking to him on the phone. I got some pics of the only two major rust spots. Maybe the tranny is trying to fool me, but he wasn't lying when her said it s good. I almost don't feel it shift until it goes into OD, that shifts smooth but when it goes it GOES. Is that the way all these autos are? Seems like OD is a really tall gear compared to the rest.

The hood was faded, anyone ever seen that paint refresher that they sell for old tractors and stuff? I think that might work, but if I buy it I'll probably just get the rust fixed and paint the hood.

The cupping wasn't anything, if he wouldn't have showed me, I wouldn't have seen it.

Two major concers that I have, one is the KDP, the other is the oil sitting around the injectors. Could this be just a valve cover gasket? Neither one if they are that simple are big or expensive fixes.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Oil on the injectors is more than likely the valve cover gaskets. As for the kdp, you can get the gasket kit from the link. ( they charge the same price for just the crank seal). I have a tab laying here that I had cut out of 10 ga on our plasma table at work(works good with the stock bolt). If you need it let me know i can either drop it off or if your in the tea area you can pick it up, if you decide to get the truck.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1997-Dodge-RAM-2500-3-4-ton-2WD/Timing-Cover-Gasket/_/N-j93rzZ8znn8?filterByKeyWord=timing+cover+gasket&fromString=search

1 - 16 of 16 Posts