Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a clutch that is right for me. I have a 2007 5.9 w/ a smarty jr that I run on 3 always. I also have a 5" exhaust and an intake. My stock clutch is starting to go. has just under 20k mi. I need a clutch that will hold a smarty jr on 3 or an adrenaline when they come out. I will not run around on the highest setting with the quad though. I also routinely tow a 7k ish boat, jet ski's , and a 10k ish trailer w/ snowmobiles or 4wheelers, and dirtbikes. and occasionally a BIG trailer for other people. I need as close to stock driveability, ability to hold power, towability, and a clutch that will last. I think I want to get a valair clutch and I think I have narrowed my search down to 2 clutchs. one is the cheap dual disc nodular iron, and the other is the kevlar/ceramic single clutch. Both are similarly priced, but which one would I be the happiest with? What are the main diffrences between the duals and single disk clutches? Sorry so long just trying to give adequate info so I can get some experienced advice. Thanks

·
Banned
560 Posts
If you have the money Id get the Valair Dual Disc.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I really love my nodular dual disk, it is noisy though, some people have a problem with that, I dont

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
i have the kelvar/ ceramic and love it !!! puts the power to the ground works great easy to drive and good up to like 600 hp

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
To answer your question the DD would be more durable and handle extreem conditions and creates more noises as well. the organic/feramic and kevalr/ceramic are towing clutches desinged to hold the power, but not for boosted launching or sled pulling. IMO the clutch is like a fuse in your drive line we could take a 10 out and put in a 20 or even 50 in place but would probably at some point burn a wire in half.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
It also would depend on your driving habits, and maybe your age LOL. mixed friction materials such as organic feramic and kevlar ceramic have some slip to them and make good towing clutches, but might not be the clutch for an aggressive driver. Full ceramics and Full feramics are pretty much no slip clutches good for street racing but not very good for towing, the best of both worlds is a dual disc the multiple plates give it some slip and make it about as smooth as a towing single depending on plate load, more noises are associated with a dual disc, possible gear clatter at idle in nuetral and floater plate rattle in the released postion. 5 speed's will need the input shaft upgrade. all our G56 clutches require hydraulic upgrade as well.

·
Banned
560 Posts
I love my Full Ceramic but like Dan said its not very tow friendly.

·
Registered
650 Posts
IMO the clutch is like a fuse in your drive line we could take a 10 out and put in a 20 or even 50 in place but would probably at some point burn a wire in half.
thats a good analogy, I like that... but yeah, I am happy with my kevlar/ceramic.. I tow with it all the time.. I sure wish I could do a launch once in a while though..

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
we advertise 500 hp 1000 Tq and is good for towing. Not the best choice for street racing.
Same one I have and I love it. It jerks alittle every now and again on take off but, anybody with one will tell you, its either on or off. It holds all I can give it, and I ride the adrenaline on 10 with the new torque tune everyday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts